cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M500 Upgrade is a disaster - Slower speed than M200

Goosh
On our wavelength

Hi all, 

I upgraded to the M500 package from the M200 and the speeds have gotten worse! I've been reading a lot of the forum posts and I don't appear to be alone.

Background

My setup is a Hub3 in modem mode, plugged into a Netgear R8000 Nighthawk with firmware V1.0.4.76_10.1.82. This has been running perfectly for just over 2 years and is configured correctly - running in QoS mode with 1x 2.5ghz and 2x 5ghz channels, evenly split out and managed by device (I'm a gamer and streamer so this is highly important to me).

I upgraded to the M500 on the 15th September, the router was remotely rebooted by VM and I thought that was all that was needed.  Having checked speedtest.net, there was no real change to my speeds (if anything it looked lower than before) so decided to wait a day or two.

On Sunday (19th September), I rebooted both the modem and router with a power cycle (10 minutes unplugged, cuppa, come back style :D) Still no improvement but an increase in my upload speed to 30Mbps (the 10% I've seen in other threads).

Test and Checks

So far I have done the following:

• Hardwire Modem Check. Booted the Hub3 into Modem & Router mode, use the Cat6 lead provided from the Hub3 to a laptop, disabled wifi on the laptop and ran speedtest.net via Ethernet. No improvement in speed.
  • Hardwire Router Check. Booted the Hub3 into Modem mode only, connected to the Router via Cat6 to a laptop, disabled wifi on the laptop and ran speedtest.net via Ethernet. No improvement in speed.
  • QoS Auto/Manual. Checked QoS mode on the Router in both auto and manual and saw no change. Speed registered via the router is:

Netgear - QoS - 20-09-2021.png

My SpeedTest results show the Upload increase instantly from the date of the upgrade too, but worse download speeds:

screencapture-speedtest-net-results-2021-09-20-09_24_43-cropped.png

I've also setup a ThinkBroadband Monitor last night and I don't like the sea of red on the Packet Loss that the graph has given me:

1332f882402dfc6ce4357c67cbc9604db5951643-20-09-2021.png

Live graph here: https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a739504fa032a95f06bd986f9407a64886...

So far, I cannot get anywhere near the speeds I upgraded to and it's infuriating.  I'm ready to call up and envoke my 14 day reverse on the contract upgrade.

Here are my Modem stats (of which I will admit I am clueless about):

Hub-Status.pngHub-Downstream-1.pngHub-Downstream-2.pngHub-Upstream.pngHub-Config.png

Any help or advice would be appreciated as I am one-step away from factory resetting the modem and router which I don't want to do incase I lose all internet for a longer period of time than I can afford.

42 REPLIES 42

Goosh
On our wavelength

Hub3 is in Modem and Router Mode following the internet being down on the estate so I have just left it like that and reset the Nighthawk R8000.  Status of the R8000 is:

- QOS turned off

- Traffic Log turned off

- Access Point turned off

Not sure if anything else is needed to be known, but 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect a PC to the hub in modem mode and do a speed test.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Goosh
On our wavelength

Thanks Legacy, but I've already done that (see original post)

Goosh
On our wavelength

Also, there was yet another outage on my housing estate this morning as well which hasn't helped matters 😄

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Boot PC in safe mode with networking and a speed test.

Are you able to check another PC?

Goosh
On our wavelength

I can't move my gaming PC, but I'll see if can get a laptop from work to test it again (will be different from the first one).

I'll carry out:

- Cat6, Modem mode

- Safe Mode PC, Cat 6, Modem Mode

Anything else you would recommend?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Goosh wrote:

I can't move my gaming PC

You could get a long Ethernet cable for testing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/1aTTack-Ethernet-Network-Double-Shielded/dp/B004WCPFB6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&...

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Goosh

Thanks for posting on our community forums!

How are you getting on with your connection today, has anything improved since posting?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Goosh
On our wavelength

Hi Travis, 

Thanks for the check up.  I spoke to Tech Support who again were insisting that it was my R8000 that was causing the issues despite me continually telling them all tests were carried out via the Hub3.  They arranged for an engineer to come out this morning and he's swapped the old Hub3 for a new Hub4./. He also went to the cabinet and increased my line signal strength a bit to make sure it's ready for Gig1 (which became available last week) and I'm getting consistent 450Mbps+ to the Hub4 with SamKnows now.

So, not sure what the cause was (the box or the signal), but appears to be fixed for now.  I'm leaving it to settle for a few days and we'll see how it goes from there.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Goosh

Thanks for the reply!

Great to hear so, please do be sure to keep us updated with how you get on.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs