Menu
TavDayl75
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

M500. Not 10% of the minimum. Ofcom involved.

Hi,

6 weeks ago when I brought up to technical support that my M500 connection wasn't even reaching 50megabits, they initiated some form of Ofcom review of my connection. I was informed that if the minimum speed wasn't reached for 3 days in that time, and the problem couldn't be fixed that I would be able to prematurely end my contract.

Yesterday I was sent out a new Superhub in order to try and fix the issue. It had no effect, speeds are still around 10% of what I should be getting, and my service is intermittent at best, with frequent disconnects from streaming and gaming services alike.

I've been trying to get hold of technical support through 150 for the last two hours, each and every time the line is somehow disconnected after at least 20 minutes of waiting.

At this point I'm beyond frustrated. I am paying a lot of money for this connection and receiving next to nothing for it. Technical support have made no effort to contact me regarding their attempts to fix my issues, and now that the Ofcom review is completed as of yesterday, I'm completely unable to talk to anyone via 150.

If anyone has any advice or inside knowledge I'd be very grateful, because I intend to contact Ofcom ASAP on monday and get to the bottom of this absolutely appalling service and customer support.

0 Kudos
George87
Tuning in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: M500. Not 10% of the minimum. Ofcom involved.

Sorry but no help from me this time. I just have the same problem. This is my 7th day on the phone usually 2 hours long each time. I achieved that the hold music is stopped after 90 mins and there was nothing just silence. Several complaint email and message went out but no replies. Please keep us updated if you able to solve your issue. Thanks and good luck.
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

what speeds do you get wired with a gigabit network card?

Ofcom do not deal with customer complaints. Not sure what an Ofcom complant is
0 Kudos
Quinny1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am on M350, and getting 6mbps up and down, but don't know how long this has been going on. No issues are in my area.

Trying to make in roads as I speak to get something sorted.

My wife is an NHS worker, working from home, and the speed are appalling.

Come February when my contract is up, I am gone.

George87
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If VM can't sort your issue out and can't give you the minimum guaranteed speed then you can cancel your contract without paying penalty fees. At least as far as I know.

Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@George87 wrote:

If VM can't sort your issue out and can't give you the minimum guaranteed speed then you can cancel your contract without paying penalty fees. At least as far as I know.

This is true however does not cover WiFi, as per the statement it does specifically say "to your Virginmedia Router", so if the Hub itself gets the full speeds but WiFi doesn't then unfortunately it's a case of looking into a third party router or VM Boosters at £3 per month (free for Gig1/Hub 4 customers). 
As per Tav's post he should have received the results in an email or post to show what the Hub was getting in the 30 day period. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
TavDayl75
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:

Hi Apcyberax,

I was informed that Ofcom will review your connection over the course of a month to determine if VM are meeting the minimum service requirements. If not and they can't/won't fix it then there is the option to cancel your contract.

0 Kudos
TavDayl75
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aaron2,

Aye, I'm wired directly to the router. There's been zero correspondence so I'm utterly in the dark.
0 Kudos
Aaron2
Well-informed
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@TavDayl75 wrote:

@apcyberax wrote:

Hi Apcyberax,

I was informed that Ofcom will review your connection over the course of a month to determine if VM are meeting the minimum service requirements. If not and they can't/won't fix it then there is the option to cancel your contract.

Ofcom don't monitor the connection, Virgin does, it's just using approved monitoring systems by Ofcom to ensure there's no funny business such as falsifying results or things like that. It's all just to ensure compliance. 

** I work for VirginMedia but all opinions posted here are my own.
TavDayl75
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The person I spoke to yesterday informed me that they had no way to see or deal with the monitoring as it was down to Ofcom. Why on earth would they say that if it's VM doing the monitoring themselves?

0 Kudos