cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower broadband speeds

Jkc1972
Joining in

I had my service connected today, when the engineer was here I had speeds of 280mps but within 2 hours my broadband went off for a few seconds and since then I'm getting 40mps maximum. Is there any reason for this?

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Firstly... can we check… are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens?

Also check for any known issues on 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I've rebooted the hub 3 and I'm now getting 180mps, but this is still below the 300mps minimum I was told I would get. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is that on wifi or a direct connection to the hub on an ethernet cable?

And on what device ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Wired, wireless?

VM don't guarantee WiFi speeds.

Wireless on phone and firestick 

@Jkc1972 wrote:

Wireless on phone and firestick 

Do you have a HUB 4?

If you do what does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

No a hub 3, I also cannot connect the virgin connect to the hub. It keeps saying no hub found 🤬

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Do it this way
---------------------

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”
(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

OK thanks, I will try that. Thank you for your help.