Menu
Laura96
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Low upload speeds

hi our plan is a vivid 200mb/dwn 12mb/up. And I've been trying to get the most out of it but I cant seem to get more than 7.8 mb upload on my PS4 everything I've tried has only ever produced a  result of 3-7.8 mb upload.

List of things tried:

-PS4 connected directly to home hub 3 modem mode using cat7 20m:  186mb/dwn 2.7mbs/up

-PS4 cat7 connection to ASUS RT-AC86U router connected to home hub 3 modem mode: 196mb/dwn 4.5-7.8 mb/up (fluctuating)

-PS4 connected to 86u; wifi 2.4ghz: 41.3-140mbs/dwn 4-5.9mbs/up , wifi 5ghz: 128-145mbs/dwn 5.5-7.2mbs/up (more fluctuation/latency than wired)

-PS4 connected to home hub 3; wifi 2ghz: , wifi 5ghz: 120-140 mbs/dwn 3-6.9 mbs/up

-Router and setting changes I have tried; mtu 1473, dns servers, spanding tree protocol disabled for lan, Port forwarding, adaptive qos. 

What has worked best for me is having ONLY the Ps4 connected via 20m cat7 to Asus 86u with spanning tree protocol disabled and adaptive qos on. Which gave me almost the full 200mbs/dwn that I pay for but still just 7.8 mb/up max. I upgraded to the 200mb package because it had 12mbs/up double the upload speed of my previous 100mb/dwn 6mbs/up package. But at no point have I ever seen more than 7.8mbs/up thats a 1.8mb increase on the vivid 100 package. 

At this point I have tried everything that I can change on my end, new router new ethernets cables, new Hdmi cables, new no lag 1ms tv, changing settings on everything to optimise. But Im quite confident now that all the lag and disconnecting I get can only be due to either the; HH3 Modem, how virgin set up my 10m RG6 Coaxial cables, coaxial cable signal strength or VM upload throttling. So please Vm help me out here. Because the next step for me here is to start reading what my protections are under the voluntary code of practice.

"If the broadband speeds you are receiving are significantly below the original estimate your provider gave you, you may have protections under the voluntary Code of Practice that covers most internet service providers" - of com.org.uk

If you need any further data to help you help me I will gladly provide it, I have seen people on other forums get there internet fixed by providing ping analysis data or whatever the correct term is but Im not sure where to even start with that if u need this kind of info please give short tutorial and I will provide.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Low upload speeds

The PS4 Speedtest is not an accurate way of measuring speed. You would have to do a proper speedtest via a laptop or a flagship smartphone.

The code of practice does not cover upload speeds

0 Kudos
Laura96
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

What good is that when the speed that matters is on my ps4 what will seeing the speed on my laptop do? , worst possible answer, i knew someone would reply with that. 

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin are not responsible for the speed of the playstation network, thats the point
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can you check your speeds with a laptop or PC connected to the hub in modem mode using speedtest.net.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Laura96
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I will have to buy an ethernet adapter for my Mac to try it out... 😞  honestly but what is the point even then speedtest always shows unrealistically high results just enough for nothing to be done and the problem persisting. why did I even bother.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As jb66 said, Virgin is not responsible for what you connect to its Hub or how you use it. That's only reasonable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Laura96,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for posting. I'm sorry that you've been experiencing difficulties in getting the most out of your connection.

As jb and Roger have advised, games console speedtests are highly unreliable as they are affected by the PS network and a number of other factors. The most accurate way of checking the speed entering your property is to connect a PC/laptop or similar device via ethernet and head to speedtest.net. This is run by an independent company, dedicated to providing transparency with regards to private and wider networks.

All our backend systems indicate that you're receiving faster than expected speeds into your hub. However, a couple of downstream channels are reporting power levels at the top end of the threshold, so I'd be happy to arrange a tech visit to take a look at this for you. We'd never request sensitive information via an open platform so I'll send you a private message to complete this. Please head to the purple envelope in the top right corner to respond.

Thanks,

Rachael

Laura96
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Rachael_F thank you, I would really appreciate a check up of my system with regards to signal levels, I know i'm a noob to all this internet wizardry but at least i'm trying to get it right.

I haven't received a private message from you yet but will keep checking after this reply.

Thank you again for that information and being considerate of the levels I've gone to to figure these things out.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Laura96, 

Rachael_F isn't in the office at the moment so I'll pop you over a private message so I can assist further 🙂

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos