cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speeds after upgrade

DeedzUK
Joining in

Upgraded my 300mb broadband to 500mb broadband and I am now getting slower speeds than on my previous package. 300mb I was hitting around 250/300. Now with my 500mb package i am getting around 100 (if that) i had speeds of 450/500 for the first 2 days after upgrading and its declined ever since. Customer service appear to be useless and all giving me different stories. SOMEONE HELP

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
First do a Hub reset like this

Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).
Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John, Thanks for the reply.

I gave this a try and i’m now getting slightly fast speeds i.e 180mbs. But nowhere near the 450mbs i was getting a few days ago. I’m at a loss with this as Virgin have no idea and says everything looks fine. However when I do a hub test it says there is a problem with the home network but gives me no way to fix it. 

CC3AFB49-0542-4257-8A16-4FFC0A394820.jpeg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you try the speedtests exactly like this....

If you think that you have a BB speed problem, then to check the speeds coming in to your Hub properly, and whether they match what you should be getting, you cannot rely on wifi tests, - no BB supplier guarantees those - only speeds "TO" the Hub are guaranteed.
So, can you test speeds directly like this. As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.