Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Is There A Roadmap For 1Gb Availability?

So Greater Manchester has 1Gb I believe, including Bury which is right next to our town of Heywood. I believe we’re either on the Oldham, Rochdale or Middleton Exchange if that makes a difference.

Now we got the 500Mb activated and wanted to ask if there’s anyway to know when my area is currently scheduled for the 1Gb? 

Even if there’s just a ball park estimate date, would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is There A Roadmap For 1Gb Availability?

Hello

I am afraid it isnt information that VM publish as publishing this info may allow other providers to beat VM. The only public information is that it planned for all 15 million to be done by end of 2021.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@zhen7 wrote:

So Greater Manchester has 1Gb I believe, including Bury which is right next to our town of Heywood. I believe we’re either on the Oldham, Rochdale or Middleton Exchange if that makes a difference.

Now we got the 500Mb activated and wanted to ask if there’s anyway to know when my area is currently scheduled for the 1Gb? 

Virgin does not use any BT exchange infrastructure, so has no relation to whether you have the gig service or not. Everything around Manchester is driven from the Oldham regional headend. Upgrades will roll out as the CMTS & related equipment are upgraded on a section by section basis

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

With regard to 1 gig...don't think Virgin know where Wales is.

Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 is planned to come to the entire network, including Wales, by end-2021.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@DJ_Shadow1966 wrote:

Hello

I am afraid it isnt information that VM publish as publishing this info may allow other providers to beat VM. The only public information is that it planned for all 15 million to be done by end of 2021.

Regards Mike

I see, I remember in the past, whether it was for 50Mb or 100Mb, they did do a roadmap, was very helpful to know when it was coming. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@zhen7 wrote:

Virgin does not use any BT exchange infrastructure, so has no relation to whether you have the gig service or not. Everything around Manchester is driven from the Oldham regional headend. Upgrades will roll out as the CMTS & related equipment are upgraded on a section by section basis

Thanks for the clarification, this is what I meant, I see that Oldham has been upgraded, as per Manchester/Bury but guess our section in Heywood hasn’t yet been done. Hope we’re not going to be forgotten till end of 2021!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hope we’re not going to be forgotten till end of 2021!

By the end of 2021 there's a small possibility VM might have ironed out the teething issues with the Hub 4 and field and customer support for the gigabit service. 

Have you fully considered what benefits you want from a gigabit connection, and why you think that 500/600 Mbps is too slow?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@zhen7 wrote:

Parts of Manchester particularly the south are served by Baguley. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Andruser wrote:

Hope we’re not going to be forgotten till end of 2021!

By the end of 2021 there's a small possibility VM might have ironed out the teething issues with the Hub 4 and field and customer support for the gigabit service. 

Have you fully considered what benefits you want from a gigabit connection, and why you think that 500/600 Mbps is too slow?  

That’s true but when it comes to tech I’ve never been one to shy away from being an early adopter. 

And 500Mb is definitely too slow when you’re downloading 50-100-200+ GB. 

Something 2x as fast is always going to appeal to me. 

Why wait 20 mins when I can get it done in 10. 

0 Kudos