Menu
lstreffordc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Internet Speeds Up and Down

Hello,

I’m at my parent’s due to Covid restrictions and their internet speeds are up and down. It can go from 3mbs to 40mbs to 100mbs and then back down again. My parents haven’t noticed these fluctuations as I have as I spend a lot of time online due to my work. 

Service status in the area is fine, no reported issues, and this has been going on for a number of weeks now. It does appear to be worse when the weather is bad, and we do have a cable that runs from the house that is close to the surface.

We’ve checked our devices and their connections using the VM online tool. Some connections are poor but that’s due to the Hub’s reach in the house and I still get fluctuating speeds when I check on any device. 

I’ve had a Google and seen that others with similar problems have uploaded logs from their Hub 3 for you guys to look at (upstream and downstream). I’ve got those logs if they’re useful.

Thanks for any help,
Lara

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet Speeds Up and Down

Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Are there just speed fluctuations or do you get total drop outs for minutes - if so - on ethernet and/or wifi?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lstreffordc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying!

I have only observed fluctuations through WiFi. I will try tomorrow using my partner’s laptop to measure the speeds whilst connected via Ethernet.

0 Kudos
lstreffordc
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have used my partner’s laptop to check the speeds with both WiFi and Ethernet, whilst being next to the router. Disclaimer: laptop is over 10 years old

WiFi

1st try 26mbs

2nd try 28mbs

Ethernet

1st try 108mbs

2nd try 110mbs

My iPad receives 94mbs at the same time next to the router so I’m not convinced the difference is due to the WiFi vs Ethernet and more to do with the age of my partner’s laptop!!

Speeds today have gone from 99mbs at 9am on WiFi to 2mbs at 10am on WiFi.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok its looking like a wifi only issue assuming that the wired connections remain stable - do they over time?

What Hub model is it?

If on a Hub3/4, try separating the SSID's of the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands by renaming them in the settings and at the same time switch off "channel optimisation" Then use a wifi scanning App to find the best wifi channels to use (just use 1,6,11 on 2.4GHz)— that often helps Hub3 users get better wifi performance - but its still no substitute for getting better kit 🙂

To address wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi pods” (not “boosters”). These are free to customers on the 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages, and so are worth trying if you are on one of those. There are stock supply issues at the moment though.

Otherwise, you/they will be charged £5/month - and at that level of investment you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever and sort it once and for all.

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
lstreffordc
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You suspect a WiFi issue even though my iPad receives 90+mbs and the laptop receives 25mbs on the same connection? The laptop is 10+ years old and probably has a worse WiFi receiver built in than the iPad. The laptop always receives less signal no matter where it is, so it’s not the best way to test it, I’ll admit. I’m going to check speeds with a newer laptop if I can.

The computer upstairs furthest away from the router also receives good speeds when it’s good, but the speeds fluctuate immensely.

For example, this morning at 9am speeds upstairs on WiFi was 99mbs but at 10am it was receiving 2mbs. This is a new computer. 

On the 31st I had 100mbs at 2pm, 20mbs at 5pm.

On the 28th, 3mbs at 11:30am then 22mbs at 4pm.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am not following your logic (me being dense I guess!).

First base.... I assume you are connected on the 100mbps package.

If so then you will only ever guarantee getting that on an ethernet cable connections. If the laptop is that old it probably only has a 2.4GHz wifi band connection and that will "never" get above ~30mbps - its basic physics - to get the ~100mbps on wifi it would need to be on the 5GHz network band (get a 5GHz dongle for it) - the iPad is capable of connecting on 5GHz and will get full speeds - when on that frequency.

Thats why i suggested separating the two bands - did you do that? If not then you dont know which frequency band any of your wifi devices are connecting on and so what the maximum connection speed is at the position in the house where they are located.

5GHz has a shorter range and I suspect that the computer up in the west wing is too far away for stable connection on that frequency and so is connecting on the 2.4 band by default - as the 2.4 range is greater. that will happen on the iPad (and other devices too) as you stray out of the 5GHz range and it defaults to the 2.4 band.

That is actually how it is supposed to work - to maintain device connectivity at the sacrifice of speeds. If you want to do something about it then you need better quality wireless equipment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
lstreffordc
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for clarifying! Apologies, I didn’t understand that the GHz of the band made such a massive difference. We did check what bands our devices were on and some were on 2.4, but I will definitely try out what you suggested in your previous message and get back

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

yep, as an example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get ~220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and always ~220 on ethernet of course). However, on the wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network (mine are separate), they always max out at ~70-80mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the technology on 2.4GHz.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
Serena_C
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lara,

Welcome to the Community Forum, thank you for your first post about your speed issues. Sorry to hear you are experiencing fluctuating speeds, I understand how frustrating this must be for you.

Have you taken a look here for further information on how to improve your speeds?

Serena

0 Kudos