cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Errors in W3 with Hub3

365nice
On our wavelength

Hello - I am renting a flat in W3 that has Virgin Broadband and TV and I keep encountering problems with the internet where its just not usable for online meetings - there are too many errors.

With the permission of the owner I have put the hub into modem mode and setup a quality monitor (I know the routine as I have my own virgin account in W4 and have experience this kind of issue before).

Looking at the quality graph i am seeing an increasing level of red errors over the course of 2 days - resulting the inability to use the service.

see: 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/3127a3ec1c55ecc312afe1276ce9f9f6cb...

Is there anything I can do to get this corrected? Can I give someone a hub serial number of ask the owner to do something with Virgin to get this improved? Its incredibly frustrating as I need to work from home and I am also paying a fair amount in rent for a flat that came with reliable internet.

I'm hoping someone can help me, as I'm going crazy.

(Note- I'm reporting this with my own login, that is probably associated with a different hub which is currently off while renovations are happening).

Tim 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - the Deco M5 is an excellent solution I would say that it need connecting in the right sequence with the Hub in modem mode- so can you try this first,,,

Switch on and set up your Deco first unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode,

Then, disconnect all cables from your new router or Deco units and switch themeoff and unplug them all Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode\

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from ithe Dec's WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
That looks dreadful... but... it seems to have cleared up around midnight. What does it look like currently? perhaps there was a known fault that has been cleared?

What make model of router are you using?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

365nice
On our wavelength

Hi - well it seemed to clear up around lunch time, but this is exactly what happened a few days ago... its like a saw tooth, gradually getting worse and worse over 24h to the point where I can't work.

As I've only been in this rental 1 week, I don't have more longer term data - but as I need to work, I need to stay on top of this to keep my job.

When you say make of router - are you referring to the Virgin hub or the router I have plugged into it? On the virgin side its a Hub 3 - but for the wifi I'm using a TP-Link Deco M5 (which worked very well on the Hub3 in my own house - I brought it with me as they mentioned that reception was poor in the bedroom, so I got permission to put the hub into modem mode - which in my experience at home - does make things more stable).

Will I need more data to get something looked at?

Tim

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - the Deco M5 is an excellent solution I would say that it need connecting in the right sequence with the Hub in modem mode- so can you try this first,,,

Switch on and set up your Deco first unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode,

Then, disconnect all cables from your new router or Deco units and switch themeoff and unplug them all Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode\

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode )

and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from ithe Dec's WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub. You might also set the SSID and key/password on the new router/Mesh to match that on the HUB so when you swap over, all your wireless devices should just connect automatically.

--------------------
John
--------------------

365nice
On our wavelength

Hi - thanks for sticking with me on this, as my errors are building up again and work becoming impossible I'm happy to try anything that might help.

To confirm what you are suggesting - do I need to put the virgin hub back into Router mode - disconnect my Deco, and then flip it back into modem mode? OR is it sufficient to unplug my Deco and turn off the hub for 30seconds, turn it back on and leave it the 5 mins to initialise? And then connect my working Deco into a port?

(you mentioned it was a one time thing - as presumably something notices it needs to reinitialise - or are these steps you need to take every time you are rebooting the hub in case of issues).

Thanks,

Tim

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No if the Hub is in modem mode thats fine. Just check/change that the first Deco has its WAN port set to Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, the switch all the Deco's off and unplug them.

Then pick it up from "...the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off. Switch your router...."

You only do this once to allow the Deco to pick up the correct ip/DHCP - no need therafter

--------------------
John
--------------------

365nice
On our wavelength

In preparation of a long week ahead, and still noting that I get occasional swathes of red errors, I've followed your suggestion - unplugged the Deco, turned everything off, powered up my main deco - let it initalise, plugged it into the hub and then powered the hub back on and finally powered up the other deco's.

I'm not totally sure why this sequence makes a difference, but willing to give it a shot... fingers crossed and thanks for suggesting something I can tray (which I can see you have suggested to others, so hopefully it does kick things into place for me).

Tim

365nice
On our wavelength

Wow - the first few days since performing that initialisation sequence do look more promising - I haven't noted any errors or slowdowns, so perhaps that that step is more critical than I had realised.

Will report back later in the week - but appreciate the help.

Tim

365nice
On our wavelength

Oh dear... I went to start work this morning and my call was all broken up and then dropped. I looked at my virgin hub 3 and its now got a flashing green light... the docs say thats a software update... but not sure.

Possibly this is now an unrelated problem as the instructions above had worked up to this point, and now BBQM just shows a permanent red bar.

I will start a different thread on the flashing green problem as it looks like its something completely different - whereas the increasing errors on the line may well have been down to modem mode initialisation sequences.

365nice
On our wavelength

Actually it seems there is an actual service fault in my area, at least thats what the service checker reports... so I think the solution suggested is still holding up.