cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 Modem Mode Port 4 (2.5 Gbps) internet limited to 100Mbps

labcoattech
Tuning in

For the past month I have only been getting around 100Mbps while on Gig1, thought nothing of it at the time but started to do some speed tests over the past few days while waiting for the Hub5 to arrive.

Plugged in the Hub5, tested the speed while in router mode and got at least 700Mbps, hmm must of been a fault with the Hub4, however as soon as I put the Hub5 into Modem mode I started getting around 100Mbps. Could it be an issue with my Ubiquity router / access points? So I decided to reset them back to factory settings and was still getting 100Mbps, the dashboard on the Ubiquity router showed that the connection between the router and the Hub5 had negotiated 1000Mbps.

Before pulling my hair our I plugged the Cat6 cable into port 3 of the Hub5 and tested, full speed again???

Which port should be used for Modem mode?

Should port 4 (2.5Gbps) only be used when connecting to another device with a 2.5Gbps capable port?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Indeed. Labcoat tech's device doesn't have any 2.5G-capable ports though so not an issue.

To get them £400 for the UDMP + £40 for the SFP+ module given you still need a 2.5G capable switch to get the full speed to more than one device as it only has a single SFP+ out, the rest are gigabit Ethernet isn't an especially persuasive deal. It can't handle anywhere near 10G throughput due to the other stuff running on the device and misses a bunch of routing functionality. If you just want a router it's a poor performer with a high price tag. 

If anyone wants one I've one sitting in the corner here - as it has for the best part of 2 years. 😂

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

IPFreely
Fibre optic

Looks like you had the problem before the Hub 5. You have the problem with the Hub 5. Looks like speed/duplex autonegotiation isn't working properly. Use the 1G port if your kit isn't capable of 2.5G, get decent kit with a 2.5G port going forward. 

https://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009ug_s_in would I reckon be a great bit of kit for use with the Hub 5. Get a switch with 10G ports to go behind the RB and you're golden.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My Ubiquiti DMP works perfectly well with the Hub5, I use an SPF+ to Ethernet module in the UDMP.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Ports can fail in such a way to link at lower speed
---------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed. Labcoat tech's device doesn't have any 2.5G-capable ports though so not an issue.

To get them £400 for the UDMP + £40 for the SFP+ module given you still need a 2.5G capable switch to get the full speed to more than one device as it only has a single SFP+ out, the rest are gigabit Ethernet isn't an especially persuasive deal. It can't handle anywhere near 10G throughput due to the other stuff running on the device and misses a bunch of routing functionality. If you just want a router it's a poor performer with a high price tag. 

If anyone wants one I've one sitting in the corner here - as it has for the best part of 2 years. 😂

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"as it only has a single SFP+ out" you just connect this to a 10G aggregation switch and on th other switches at 10G.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Should have mentioned that I am using the Edge Router Lite.

@Tudor wrote:

"as it only has a single SFP+ out" you just connect this to a 10G aggregation switch and on th other switches at 10G.

Indeed. That's what I said. My point was more questioning why someone with a lower end router would replace it with a £400+ box that tries to do everything and has poor routing throughput and functionality for the price when they could get something that is perfectly acceptable for half the cost. 😊