cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub4

fletched30
Just joined

All just switched from oomph to GIG1 with hub4 router. I find speed no faster on wireless connection, anyone else have same issue?

7 REPLIES 7

wiggles
Dialled in

Wireless can have many factors impacting it, you wont get 1gig on wifi unless your on wifi 6 with a compatible router and device and a clean signal with no interference, I get between 3-400 on my 1gig package on a dedicated mesh wifi network, the hub 4 is good but not great. 

My advice get a decent standalone wifi router (used in AP mode only) and use that while the hub 4 does the main routing

3rd Line IT Support Staff (non VM), Avid Gamer, Can cook toast and not burn it

My Broadband Ping - Home VM

Gig 1 service on Hub for for routing and Deco M4 mesh for Wifi as an AP.

Straight6Petrol
Dialled in

As the above poster said but it's more likely your devices WiFI limiting the speed if your next to router and still slow.

In Android go in WiFi setting and then click on your connected network and view "link speed" this is the theoretical maximum speed your device can hit. As an example I have a Motorola One Zoom and its only a 1x1 device so peaks at 450mbps. My Samsung S10 Lite peaks at 850mbos (2x2).

On Windows go into CMD (search for CMD or command prompt and type the below.

Netsh WLAN show interfaces 

That will show your link speed. 

I have a WiFi router (DLink Dir-882) which is capable of 160mhz on 5GHz or about 1600mbps but none of my devices can actually hit that, although the S10 comes close. 

I would check your devices before you but a new WiFi 6 router or anything like that as you may not even hit 1gbps with a fancy new AP.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Just another person that wants speed over wifi and thinks the hub should do that on any package.....

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:
Just another person that wants speed over wifi and thinks the hub should do that on any package.....

Perhaps they have believed Virgin's TV adverts about their "fastest ever WiFi".

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@jpeg1 Perhaps they have believed Virgin's TV adverts about their "fastest ever WiFi".

The expression "our fastest ever" only references a company's own previous products, so given the legacy of lacklustre hubs, VM's claim is probably correct. 

Applying the same principle to another product, Dacia could legitimately claim that Sandero is their fastest ever car, but despite that I suspect Lewis Hamilton won't be rushing to buy one.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes yes yes I'm aware of how they can justify the claim.  

I'm also aware that many people don't think the advertisements through and accept the claim of fastest WiFi at face value.

It's also unhelpful that the advert talks only about WiFi speeds, and directly leads to so many customers wrongly thinking that the speeds they pay for are WiFi speeds. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

to be honstly say wifi speeds it is limited 2.4ghz is is slow speed wifi to the what the next one is only limited to a speed you can't get full on speed via wifi via any of vm routers i would go for your own build of wifi out of poe network switches Ubiquiti wifi you maybe get full speeds with that

My Broadband Ping - Virgin Media 350MB

Using Ultimate Volt bundle

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong. If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others