Menu
AmandaMKnox
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Hub upgrade

I can't find any useful information about upgrades on the website or even an email. My house is old with an odd layout and even boosters aren't of much help to the wifi dropping off regularly. We have to switch the wifi on and off all day on our devices to keep refreshing.

We have Hub 3 and I'd be interested in an upgrade. I read somewhere that Hub 4 has just become available to all customers. How would I go about getting one, please?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub upgrade

The Hub4 is no better than the Hub3.
A standalone won't resolve wifi issues - you need a mesh system or run some wired AP's

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub upgrade

If you need to restart the hub frequently, then (unless you know otherwise from a device connected to the hub by wire) it is more likely to be a cable quality problem.  Wifi is a little understood and sometimes fickle technology, but it is very good at reestablishing interrupted wireless connections for itself.

So before you follow any advice to spend money on your own wifi equipment (that may still be needed) you should ensure that your cable connection is running at full speed, reliably and without data loss.

To do this, it would help if you would connect to the hub, don't log in, but click on the link to "Check router status".  That will bring up a window with five tabs of techno-babble.  Post (as formatted text, not images) the entire contents of the three tabs titled Downstream, Upstream and Network log.  We can check for any signs of connection problems.  Separate to that set up a Broadband Quality Monitor.  Let that run for 24 hours, then post a link to "shared snapshot" chart.

From all of that we can take a view on whether there is a cable connection issues causing the dropouts.  Only when that issue is closed off do you start to think about spending the £60 - £200 on a mesh wifi setup.  I'm using a mesh wifi system, and it works brilliantly, but no point in you spending the money if the main fault is a shonky cable connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos