cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 Disappointment - suggestions please

EdwardB1
On our wavelength

I upgraded to the Hub4 and Gig service for an extra (£15 a month x 18 month contract) £270 but the service is at best no faster than the Hub3, with speeds at half the advertised rate.

Had a great service from Virgin Media with their 350 and 500 services and it's the same set up.

Despite factory resets, reboots, unplugging for half an hour, playing with the settings, gesticulating at the box and murmuring profanities, speeds are the same as before but now I'm paying £270 more.

I've contacted the company and they said the service looks ok at their end, I've run SamKnows which varies wildly between 500-900, but standard speed tests which confirmed the Hub3 was working brilliantly, show the Hub4 only providing a 500Mbps service marginally worse than the Hub3.

I've read about others with similar problems with no obvious resolution, as I'm still in the legal cooling off period anyone any bright ideas on how to get Gig speeds before I return the equipment?

Many thanks, Edward.    

17 REPLIES 17

Thank you to all the very helpful and delightful Virgin Media team here in the community and in the call centres. Genuinely surprised at how charming and helpful everyone is.

A really super engineer (Michael) came to the house and changed the Hub4 and all the internal wiring.

Alas made not a jot of difference to the speed.

It is perceived there is an issue in the street box, which registers with the technicians online.

In the meantime my average speed is 350Mbps. I don't have an issue with that, but I am paying a premium (£66 a month) for the faster service and would rather return to paying £51 a month for the M500 service which worked so well. VM are being less helpful with this downgrade, hoping the service will come right whilst i'm still in the 14 day cooling off period, not cool.

A note to others contemplating the complete VM package upgrade, DON'T:

Synopsis: I was not surprised that no one in the house wanted the new landline phone, we haven't had one for years, we don't even have a phone to connect. More educational was the kids aren't the slightest bit interested in broadcast television through the VM360 Box either. They still go straight to the apps on the TV or watch on their screens in their room. The VM app wasn't easy to set up or use on other devices, so that has been abandoned. It's a new world where the inconvenience and cost of having a black box, wires and an additional remote control delivering a stream of scheduled diabolical tat (I set up the box during the day, who watches this stuff?), reconfirmed why upgrading the service to "FourPlay" was a silly move by me, monogamy with just the broadband is so much simpler, others should learn from my mistake and join the cool kids with VM Broadband only.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Edward,

Thank you for your kind words, I am sorry for the issues you have had with us recently.

Can you please tell me if you are needing further assistance? I am unsure from your update with exactly what it is you need from us moving forward.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

EdwardB1
On our wavelength

Hi Hayley

Thank you for reaching out.

What I seek is:

1. Either the new service to work providing 1GB speeds and keep my latest contract paying £66 a month which is now 11 days old.

or

2. Revert to my old contract and service M500 which worked brilliantly paying £51 a month 

I’m told there may be a problem with the box on the street (everything inside has been checked, replaced by an engineer and rechecked and yet average speeds are 350. 

if I don’t conclude this within the 14 day cut off period I feel ill be £270 worse off with an inferior service to a couple of weeks ago.

many thanks for looking into this 

Edward

Thanks for your reply, Edward. 

I can send another technician if you would like to see why those speeds are 350 average for your 1GB service. The other options is to check if  you have a CAT7 Ethernet cable to ensure you have top speeds. We can have the service speeds monitored this can take you over the 14-days. Lastly as you have stated, as you are within the cooling off period, then a reversion to the previous package is an option, however would require calling the Retentions Team directly.

Cheers,

Corey C

EdwardB1
On our wavelength

Firstly a huge big thank you to the VM service team for addressing my contract issue, and letting me return the TV box and associated gubbins within the 14 day cooling off period and setting up a new 18 month contract which works for both sides.

I am delighted with the customer service.

A heads up to the VM technical team, I'm meant to be getting 500Mbps and still only getting 350Mbps.

I don't want to make an issue but if there's a fault in the area....

We know it's not an internal problem, having changed the modem and all wires to the brown box on the outside of the building (thank you Michael the engineer who did that) and we know it used to work brilliantly at 500Mbps, before we upgraded to the newest hub modem. We have done all the obvious tests to the point of exhaustion, and VM have been brilliantly helpful both virtually and with the engineer visits. It's just that there is a Gremlin in the system somewhere. I'll abandon all hope as the speed difference is negligible, but just feel VM should know 🙂 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Edward81

Thanks for the reply!

Which device is it which is achieving the max of 350 and what ethernet cable are you using?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

EdwardB1
On our wavelength

Hi Travis,

We have a Hub4, which has been changed (this is the second one).

All the cables between the brown box outside the house and the Hub 4 have also been changed (this is the second set)

The Hub 3 gave us 500Mbps brilliantly.

Have reconfigured multiple times, changed all the cables and equipment, done all the usual tests. The theory is the speed is being throttled by/to the box on the street, which may not be talking to the Hub4 properly.

The service is working superbly at 350Mbps on the Hub4, which has been consistent since we upgraded from the Hub 3 to Hub 4, it's just a shame it's not 500Mbps we're contracted for.    

Have a great day and thank you for taking an interest

Hi @EdwardB1,

Thank you for expanding. If the issues are ongoing for you today, would you mind setting up and sharing with us a live BQM so we can take a closer look at your connection?

Can you also confirm if you're having these speed issues you're referring to on a wired connection too, or just wireless/Wi-Fi?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!