cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 - 1gb - fast on wifi, slooooow on ethernet

simmo1999
Tuning in

Have had Hub 4 now for a few weeks, upgraded from 350mb to 1gb. But..... anything I have ethernet connected to the hub is so slow...... 150 - 200mb. With the exception of my Linksys Velop which shows speeds of 900mb when connected, but if I then connect by ethernet another device to that..... 150-200mb. Upload speed always on or about the 50mb max.

Here's what I've tried:

Hub 4 in router mode - 3 different PCs ethernet connected, same outcome - max Ive had was 298mb on any of them. All 1 year old or less devices.

Connect via wifi, even my phone gets 600+mb download.

Hub 4 in modem mode with Linksys Velop - 3 different PCs again ethernet connected to the Velop, get same - 150-200mb, max was just over 300mb

Wifi - same as before, more than double even triple the speed of the wired connection.

I had a Hub3 before, worked flawlessly, wired always close to the 350 mark, even slightly higher.

Got a Virgin engineer out, he replaced the Hub4, same issue, exactly the same issue in fact. He scratched his head a few times, said the Hubs are so new they are still learning about them and  "we don't do networking issues" and then he left....

So I'm starting to feel like this is some sort of firmware issue with the Hub4, cant think of anything else because I've tried it both modem and router modes, multiple devices, all my cables are Cat6 ethernet.... No powerline adapters involved in my setup etc....

But its so odd, the speedcheck in my Linksys app for the attached Velop router when the Hub4 is in Modem mode shows full speed.....

Any of you network savvy people seen anything like this before? Driving me nuts.....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Boot your PC in safe mode with networking F8 on boot up and connect a PC to the hub in modem mode to do a speed test.

What NIC are you using? disable EEE in settings

---------------------------------------------------------------

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Boot your PC in safe mode with networking F8 on boot up and connect a PC to the hub in modem mode to do a speed test.

What NIC are you using? disable EEE in settings

---------------------------------------------------------------

So....

Booted one device in safe mode with networking, connected to the Velop and.... 957mb. Rebooted normally and... 215mb.

Good shout, Alessandro, at least now I know now it's not a Hub issue.....

Disabling EEE made no difference, same sluggish speed

simmo1999
Tuning in

So properly removed antivirus, rebooted and reconnected to router and 600mb and 550mb, so markedly faster but still not as fast as safe mode. Any other thoughts, Alessandro?

try uninstalling the network card in device manager letting it re-install but it does sound like you still have some anti virus/antimalware running which might be slowing you down due to processing

Did the uninstall and reinstall, no difference I’m afraid.

It’s odd that the AV only seems to impact wired not wireless speeds isn’t it….

what computer is it, what chipset is the network chip and what CPU might help diagnose, some networking chips offload functions to host CPU and perhaps this is where it is falling down. Also how are you testing speed in a browser or actual network erformance with file transfers?

If you enable max performance in the power options does it get any faster?

If you bring up the task manager and sort the network list by clicking on it then run a speedtest and see what processes are using your network, should really just be your browser.

You could have a dodgy anti virus extension that hasn't uninstalled perhaps, maybe try another browser

Max power makes no diff unfortunately. 

laptops got a Ryzen 5 3600 processor 8gb ram. Card is a Realtek usb GbE controller (usb C dongle) and a Qualcomm atheros QCA61x4A wireless card

ive got a wired server HP Microserver gen 8 with an older Broadcom NIC. Upgraded the processor to an Xeon E3-1265L V2 and have 12gb ram. When I had the Hub3 and 350mb broadband, got 300+mb all the time. But getting 200 since the hub upgrade 

Both should be eminently capable of dealing with a fast Ethernet connection and if I wired transfer files over LAN between the 2 it’s fine, super fast

Frustrating….

so LAN transfers get full speed between ryzen and gen 8 when connecting through hub would indicate nothing wrong with your LAN, how are you measuring internet speeds?

I did have a problem with my usb-c realtek 2.5G LAN dongle with windows drivers, I had to download the latest from realtek site, I assume you've done that?

Yep, all drivers up to date. Bitdefender was the AV. Have gone with Kapersky security cloud as a trial (small footprint) - getting 500mb on server so still some impact but 2x faster. Odd….