cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3 - connection drops and slow speeds

russelluk
On our wavelength

HI 

I have a virgin Hub 3, I have been having drops and slow speeds for some time now I have just run a test on my hub and it says that I have slow wireless move your device closer to the hub.

Well my device is about 1 foot away from my Hub I have tried reboots and resets to the hub no difference to my speeds and drop out.

Will a new hub help with this problem or is it my line that is at fault 

thanks 

Russell

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

17 REPLIES 17

Hi Russell, 

No problem at all. We're glad you managed to find it in the end. 

For the benefit of anyone else reading the thread, you can locate any appointments you have booked by logged in to My VM. Once you log in scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app.

Let us know how the visit goes Russell. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

russelluk
On our wavelength
All sorted required a new hub speed good both wired and wireless

Hi russelluk, 

That's great news. We're really glad things have been resolved for you by having a replacement hub. Thanks for popping back with an update for us. 

If you have any further issues, please pop back and let us know. 

Take care, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

d_a_n1979
On our wavelength

Sorry to rekindle this post; thought it better to do this rather than start a whole new one, again...!

We've 350Mbps broadband; faultless on Ethernet, but wifi (5Ghz) we're lucky to see 50Mbps+ and 2.4Ghz is about as useless as using a colander to catch water...!

I've reset the SH3, no change...

I'm about to pull the plug on a TP Link sent of Mesh repeaters, but having a SH3 that works would be a lot simpler and TBH; I'm paying for that, so why should I have to fix it's unreliability myself and be out of pocket!

TBH I don't want to 'call technical support' as they're painful at the best of times and they do NOT listen... I'm fairly tech savvy, so just need them to listen to the issues and help from there, not go round & round in circles...!

Any thoughts/latest advice re this before I look to escalate it

Cheers 👍🏼

Hello d_a_n1979,

Welcome back to the forums! Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having some problems with your wireless speeds, and haven't had the best experience when calling our team in the past.

Slow wireless speeds can be caused by a multitude of different reasons, it may be an issue with the hub, other equipment in the home or something to do with your wireless set up. I've looked on this side and everything appears to be fine.

I'd first try factory resetting your hub which will allow all the wireless connections to refresh, let us know if that helps first.

We also have some tips here on how to improve WiFi. Let us know if that helps.

Beth

d_a_n1979
On our wavelength

Thanks Beth

SH3 factory reset a number of times...

Some weeks its fine, others its shocking and no matter how many times it gets reset; it defaults to the same issues, time & time again

Bar upgrading to the latest Superhub or forking out my own £££ for another router and sticking this into modem mode; there aren't really many other options!

Hi d_a_n1979,

Thanks for getting back to us. Sorry to hear that factory reset has not helped in this case.

I know you mentioned that ethernet connections are fine, but have you noticed any change at all with the ethernet connected devices during the off weeks?

We also offer WiFi Pods which will help with the speeds and overall connection around the home. More information on them can be found here. Let us know if you'd be interested in ordering them.

Thanks

Beth

d_a_n1979
On our wavelength

Thanks Beth

I'm all sorted thanks

I've gone and bought the TP Link Deco mesh system and it's working a treat. SH3 into modem mode, the Deco is doing all the wifi work

It's lightning fast compared to the SH3 also; on 5Ghz channel via the SH3 I'd rarely get over 90Mbps download speed (tested via Speedtest using my M1 MBA, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Samsung A53 5H etc). Via Ethernet it was 350Mbps as it should, zero issues

Now I'm getting 300-350Mbps via the Deco wireless mesh...

Just shows you how bad the SH3 is!