cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Accurate is Samknows Realspeed to Computer?

jonnymc4
On our wavelength

As the title alludes, how accurate is the Realspeed page? My internet connection to the router is typically showing at 1145 Mbps, however when I carry out a speed test on Proof.ovh.net I get quite different results to what is showing as the connection to my computer.

For example, my computer connection to the router, despite being on a gigabit ethernet port with brand new Cat6A cable is showing as 401 Mbps. My most recent speed test shows a connection speed of 673 Mbps (max.).

jonnymc4_0-1642506440043.png

jonnymc4_1-1642506498923.png

I've tried the ethernet connection on a number of computers, hardwired with various different Cat6 (and above) cables on gigabit ports, and the maximum speed that is displayed in Samknows is 500 Mbps.

19 REPLIES 19

jonnymc4
On our wavelength
I'm running an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz , 16 GB RAM and a 4GB 1050Ti graphics card. It can handle my 3D structural engineering models and analysis no problem, can't imagine it to actually be the comptuer.

I can achieve full download speeds in safe mode (940 Mbps), which is a promising sign. Though when disabling all the processes and rebooting into Windows through msconfig, everything drops back down. I'll keep playing around to see if there's some third party piece of software that's limiting me.

If it can get full speed in safe mode then IT IS THE SOFTWARE ON THE COMPUTER AT FAULT.

Not the hardware.

Not virgin.

Not Sam knows.

This is why I suggested a clean windows install.

jonnymc4
On our wavelength

I downloaded a 6GB file at 980 Mbps, yet Samknows is telling me I'm getting 107 Mbps. I dont' understand why the large discrepancy on this one. Anyone care to explain?

jonnymc4_0-1642607581654.png

jonnymc4_2-1642607794398.png

I've not tried it (in modem mode), but it looks like it's very inaccurate. How are your real world speeds?

If you try something like downloading from Steam or search for "file download test hetzner" and download the 10GB file, click "Show all" whilst it's downloading (in chrome) and that will tell you what speed you're getting in MB/s. If you're on the Gigabit connection it should be around 100MB/s.

You can cancel the download once you've seen how fast you're getting. I'm on 650 and got around 68MB/s

jhuk
Trouble shooter

The above was not small packet speediest he grabbed a 6GB file and though it will not be 980Mb/s in reality due to the limitation of the 1Gb/s Lan port it will be about 940-950Mb/s

jonnymc4
On our wavelength

I did a quick check on Steam just to make sure it wasn't just a strange reading from Fast.com and the download speeds I was getting were in the Gigabit region. I maxed out at 108 MB/s and averaged around 80 MB/s for around 10 GB. I'll just ignore Samknows for my computer connection for now as clearly something strange is going on.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jonnymc4, thanks for youur post although I'm sorry you're concerned about the speeds you're getting via SamKnows.

@risc19, @jhuk and @Mcgaz have provided useful information here which is great, and I can see you've looked into their advice.

I've checked your account and I'm happy to confirm that there are no faults on the network of note.

Based on the fact you've also said your real-life download speeds appear to be in the correct region and everything looks fine on your account I'm happy to conclude you've got no problems here.

Please let us know though if you need any further support!

Regards

Tom_W

@jonnymc4 wrote:

Snip…

I'll just ignore Samknows for my computer connection for now as clearly something strange is going on.

That would be wise, personally I have some serious reservations about just how accurate or meaningful the built-in Samknows tests are on the VM hubs. In practice of course it is irrelevant, as a customer, you are interested in what your devices get, not what a test might claim that the hub is getting.

jhuk
Trouble shooter

Yip back to back tests, 350miles away for the second test.

Screenshot 2022-01-23 144259.png

Jen_Y

Each broadband speed testing service will be using their own testing methodology to run tests;  Under the 2019 OFCOM's code of practice on broadband speeds, every ISP is required to use the same testing methodology which has been designed to stress test the connection.  Unfortunately, the OFCOM Speed Code does not cover independent online speed testing sites.

One of the key requirements of the OFCOM Speed Code is that all ISP tests are conducted by utilising 3 x concurrent TCP threads (websockets) to run a test.  If a speed tester uses too many TCP threads/websockets it may mean an underlying network issue such as a high packet loss problem is masked under a good speed test result. As a comparison SamKnows uses 3 x TCP threads whereas OVHcloud uses up to 16.

To ensure Virgin Media is compliant to the OFCOM Speed Code, all SamKnows testing will uses 3 x TCP threads. This will ensure that the network is being put under more stress during a test, compared to a speed tester using more TCP threads.  As a result it is inevitable that there will be a difference in the speeds being reported across the various speed testing platforms. 

This is not to say that tests that are run on other platforms other than SamKnows are incorrect, however differences will lie in the results due to the testing methodology, configuration, and environment. 

Jen_Y

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules