cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High ping spikes, intermittent connection, very slow speeds

JohnSmith123
On our wavelength

I saw this thread back in November, where someone was complaining about having high ping spikes: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/High-Ping-Spikes/td-p/4870272

I experienced the same issue around the same time. It never really went away, but I think it got a little bit better after a while.

But over the past few weeks or month or so, the issue has returned. Basically, the internet connection will be working fine, and then suddenly it'll become dead slow for some number of seconds or minutes. A speed test will show a ridiculously low (bytes or kilobytes per second) speed, and a ridiculously high ping (10+ full seconds).

Today it has been especially bad, being extraordinarily slow to the point of being unusable. It's at the point where I'm having to go off and make lunch while waiting for a individual, simple text web page to load.

Here's my Think Broadband data from the past week:

virginmedia2022-04.png

What's going on here?

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

BQM showing peak time latency issues for Virgin Media users | thinkbroadband

The "yellow" humps are affecting all VM users, but your BQM is being affected by something else as well.

You need to post your power levels and network logs from the Hub, to see if we can spot something amiss.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JohnSmith123,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community!

So sorry for any issues faced regarding the broadband, from checking our system everything seems to be in spec currently.

Are you able to post any recent logs?

Thanks,

Kain