Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

High latency spikes in games only

Hi guys,

For about two weeks now, I have constant ping spikes between 7-250ms. I have rebooted my Windows as I thought it could help at any point, but no. I am located in Leeds. 

Looking for any help 🤔

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: High latency spikes in games only

Exact same issue!

I got an M200 deal recently and gaming is an important aspect for me - especially now!
For the first couple of weeks everything was butter smooth but for the past 2-3 weeks I've been getting lag that progressively got worse, to the point that I can no longer enjoy playing most of my FPS games.

I use a cat 6A cable from my Hub 3 to my PC.
I've tried:
Rebooting the router (many times)
Resetting it
Using it in a modem mode with a good third-party router (D-Link DIR‑2660)
Pausing downloads on all other devices and disconnecting everything non-essential from the network

Various tests have shown that my jitter value has increased dramatically leading to frequent latency spikes and packet loss. Not had this much continuous lag with a cheaper provider (and I'm talking the cheapest).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've reached one of the agents a few days ago on Virgin Media website after waiting about 4-5 days for a reply. All I've heard was "We can't help with ping related stuff". So what? Am I paying so much for no reason? 

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well advertising those deals as gamers' choice is misleading then.

It used to work very well so maybe they need to adjust their policy for "heavy bandwidth users" so that fair usage is not impacted?

Even tethering from my mobile's 4G connection I now get much better jitter.

0 Kudos