Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB 4, GIG1 not full speed unless plugged direct from modem

hotfuzzybody
Superfast

Installed the HUB4 today with gig1.

Speeds direct from the modem on my PC are as advertised 900Mbps+

full speed.png

When I detatch the rj45 from the modem and plug the same rj45 it into my Asus Nighthawk X6 R8000 Router,.which has 4x gigabit ports, i get around 350Mbps.

not full speed.png

Can anyone explain why this huge drop in speed?
I'm thinking it could be one of the rj45 cables are not 1gig spec, not cat6 or higher.
The cable from the modem to the asus router is cat5e on inspection.
The cable from the asus router to my pc is cat6.
Would a cat5e cable give 350+ speeds and not the full 1gig?

21 REPLIES 21

which firmware

@ozsat wrote:

I have a R8000 and get full 940Mpbs speeds to it from the hub.

There was some dodgy firmware that caused similar issues on the Nighthawk so is worth checking the firmware is up to date and then doing a factory reset on the Nighthawk.

@hotfuzzybody wrote:
As above, I have never enabled QoS in any scenario at any point in time.

which firmware are you using?

@ozsat wrote:

I have a R8000 and get full 940Mpbs speeds to it from the hub.

That's my point, I get full speed from the hub too, direct from the hub4 to the pc (router mode ofc).
When put the hub4 in modem mode I do not get the full speed.
It's like the hub4 caps the outgoing speeds to the netgear router when not in modem mode.

Is there a good setup to have the hub4 in router mode with the netgear router managing the connected devices?

Put hub in router mode connect the WAN port of your router to the hub connect a PC to your router and do a speed test.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I have already did that in my first post, please read.

I get full speeds up and down but it's a headache to change all the devices that require manual configuration.

Anyway I had it running in modem mode for a while now (with reduced speeds) but since the download speeds dropped to around 120MBits I took the plunge and changed the HUB4 to router mode.

I did a test, still around 120Mb.

I plugged the PC direct to the modem, tested, still 120Mb.

I changed leads for 2 different types of CAT6 cables, still get the results of 120Mb.

I have reset and rebooted everything.

Currently there is only 1 PC plugged into the modem.

The modem does state that it is running on 1000Mbs

modem 1000 device1.png

modem mode on.png

120mb speed test.png

Yes the above recent tests are from DIFFERENT hosts all in local area <30 miles.

Any explanation what's going on here? It can't be a throttling issue surely! I don't use heavy downloading....!

Key points:

• Initially the router mode did provide almost 1000Mbps
  • Changing to modem mode it became throttled to 350Mbps or so
  • Currently both router and modem mode now give 120Mbps
  • No test devices were changed
  • Only 1 device is connected to the modem for speed test purposes, gigabit port, gigabit capable cable, windows reports 1Gbps link speed.
  • No cables were changed (except for isolation and elimination tests) they are either cat5e or cat6.
  • No software was updated or changed

@hotfuzzybody wrote:

Unfortunately I have already did that in my first post, please read.

Nope not from what I read I'm saying connect PC to your router connect router WAN port to hub but have hub in router mode to see what speed you get.

Speed tests may be throttled if you run them over and over

I'll make it as plain as I can.

The current setup is as follows:
The PC is connected to the netgear router (alone) and the netgear router is connected to the WAN port of the hub (the hub is in router mode). Now (after peak time) I'm back up to 350Mbps or so instead of my package of 1GIG that I'm paying for. During peak time I was getting 120Mbps average.

As a test, with the hub in router mode, I have the PC directly connected to the hub (NOT USING THE NETGEAR ROUTER) and get speeds of 700Mbps during peak time, 950Mbps off peak.

I hope this clarfies any confusion.
Any help would be appreciated.

So the netgear router is to blame the hub is in router mode so same MAC/IP you test by double NAT its slow you test to hub its fast.

So netgear router has QoS/BWM bug stuck on and is play with your speed maybe look at getting a different router.

I did a factory reset on the Netgear Nighthawk but I still get capped speeds of 300Mbps or so.
I'm also using Firmware Version V1.0.4.84_10.1.84

Is there a specific order to install and configure the router to remove the bugged speed capped flag issue?

Also does the router MAC address have any influence on setup/speed?

When I select "use default address" i.e the routers address, there is no internet.

Do I need to reboot the HUB to enable talking to the default MAC address?

However, using a specific computer's MAC address, internet is enabled.