cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HITRON ROUTER AND STATIC IP

neon013
Tuning in

I have Virgin Media Business account with a HITRON router and at point of sale was told the 1 static IP I ordered would be sufficient to allow me to switch from PlusNet (1 static IP) and essentially use the HITRON router in modem only mode. PlusNet only offers 56Mb rather than the 350Mb claimed by Virgin.

I have a Draytek (handling VPM/VOIP) router that I cannot get to go through the HITRON for internet/VPM to other sites.

Having contacted VMB they are now telling me this is not possible. 

Reviewing other posts I cannot find any conclusive answer other than that others may have achieved the desired result by purchasing 5 static IPs or reverting to dynamic (and hoping it doesn't change). 

Could someone advise :-

1. Is 1 static IP possible ? i.e. has anyone achieved this via a third party router (hopefully Draytek) - I had an engineer at home recently who stated it was - "but its complicated and involves DMZ?"

2. Has anyone setup a Draytek router with a HITRON router - either one or multiple static IPs that pass through the HITRON. 

NOTE: I cannot really risk dynamic IPs although it would be interesting to know how sticky they are - hence does anyone have any experience of this.

Finally does anyone know if I use the residential service (at home) and order Homeworks (presumably with 1 static IP) I can achieve the same results via a different virgin router?

As 3 other sites are scheduled for engineers to arrive (who won't touch the Draytek!) I need to know if I'm cancelling virgin altogether or if there is a solution out there.

20 REPLIES 20

I'm running with the hitron with a block of 8 and all of my ip's are working. You are obviously missing something on the draytek (been years since I touched one of those)

The hitron does use a static address (which you can choose in the web interface) and you then set the default ipv4 gateway to that address and select another address from your supplied range as the primary ip address of the draytek. You then add the additional addresses into the draytek annd they should all work.

Peterrw
Just joined

Thanks, 

I was struggling to find out how to get the 5 static ip's I've got through the Hitron router to my Draytek Vigor 2860 and found this thread.

As mentioned earlier there was no information around but neon013 confirmed it was possible.  For anyone else looking how to do it the settings is in WAN->Internet Access, select the Details Page of WAN2 and then click the "WAN ip Alias" button to add your other ip's

tempsnip.png

For some reason that picture didn't add - adding it again from a jpeg this time.Draytek Vigor 2860 - adding Hitron ip'sDraytek Vigor 2860 - adding Hitron ip's

I am stuck in a similar situation with 13 static IP addresses and only one works. The one that gets assigned to my router (Mikrotik). Have been trying different configurations but couldn't get the rest of the addresses to pass through Hitron.

Since this is a very old post, did anyone manage to get multiple static IP addresses working with VMB Hitron? If so can you please share your setup.

Very much appreciated. 

Thank you.

The Hitron simply gives you a subnet via a GRE tunnel. The IP's are in that subnet with 3 of those IP's being used (one for network, one for broadcast and one for the GATEWAY IP)

All the others can be used in ANY router that supports additional IP's. You simply add the GATEWAY IP (that is set in the Hitron) as the WAN Gateway and add any of the other IP addresses as your WAN address. For the remaining IP's, you add these in as addtional IP's (as in the Draytek above) or however your router does this and that is all that is needed.

This post explain clearly how to setup Draytek with static VM IP's

https://ictis.net/draytek_vmb.html

Bit of an old thread but just in case somebody comes accross this one, there is a mistake in the config above.

There is a subnet mask of 255.255.248.0 (class B block of 2048 with 2046 usable IP addresses)

This should be 255.255.255.248 (Class C block of 8 with 6 usable IP addresses)

60six
Joining in

Hi - I have a customer who required a single IP address and has the Hitron modem.

It is impossible to use modem mode as the option in the menu is unavailable with the hitron when the single IP is added. The DMZ on the hitron isn't solid enough to use another router.

The hitron is highly troublesome with it's general setup. I regularly lose access to the web interface and only a 30 second held reset brings it back online so I can add the tunnel username/pass again and then change settings. Once changed you lose access once more. You cannot run an email server with single IP mode as the hitron cannot cope with the amount of traffic an email server demands.

I understand that if you have a block of static IPs instead of the single IP the hitron will allow modem mode - you just need to add a switch between the hitron in modem mode & the rest of your network for using the rest of the static IP's - manually use 255.255.255.248 as subnet mask.

Don't request a single static IP for any virgin service. Ask for 5 IP's as just the one will saddle you to using the hitron for everything which results in very poor networking, dhcp failures, ARP issues and a massive drop from 300 to 50 on your internet speed.

This is a shocking mistake by virgin, and not easily rectified.

No idea what the next bit of text is about - I didn't add the stuff about RT-N & Superhub... It just appeared. Ignore everything after this....

Never had much joy with any superhub unless it is in modem only mode. Try any ASUS RT-N series wireless router and switch your superhub to modem mode. Works wonders.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello @60six 

You are on the Virginmedia Residental forum really the bets options for support is with the Virginmedia Business team their contact details are https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-in-touch/contact-us/ while this forum can give basic advice there are no VM business staff on this forum, and I am afraid that they do not have a forum.

From what I understand if you have static IP addresses with VM business you cannot use modem mode due to having a GRE tunnel, all of your other queries really need to be discussed with the Business Team.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It would be useful if Virginmedia Business would have a forum to discuss these sort of issues as I've not been able to find any real information on their website.

I've found that tech support don't fully answer questions although I know that it is not their job to advice on the customer's router config.

I'm sure it is now possible to have static IPs in modem mode.