cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 stability - unusable since upgrade

JennyCide
On our wavelength

I 'upgraded' from m100 to Gig1 about a month ago.  My connection had been stable for years so was confident that the upgrade would be smooth and indeed replacing the hub and setting it up was (they messed up my packages but that's a different set of issues).

Ever since the swap to a Hub 4 and Gig1 my connection has been awful and I'm interested if others have a similar problem or if it's just an isolated case.

Samknows realspeed tests show some packetloss but generally a good speed to the router (usually around 945Mbps) but then even wired connections direct into the hub4 only get between 200-600Mbps (I've tried multiple cables).

Worst of all is the constant packet loss

this is today so far

broadband monitor080920.PNG

all my calls/video meetings etc are getting dropped or interrupted and it's constant.

Here's my live graph BQM Live 

So, since the only things that have changed are the hub and the package and I am stuck in a loop of being passed to 2nd line support who say it looks fine then hang up on me, I'd like to know if it's just me - is Gig1 really this unstable for other people - constant 10-20% packet loss looks to me like an issue with the line but i can't get anyone to book an engineer.

Has anyone else had this resolved by getting a replacement Hub4 or sorting issues with the line?

At this point I just want my old hub back and the m100 that was rock solid.

26 REPLIES 26

JennyCide
On our wavelength

Engineer came round and checked everything from my computer to the green box out in the street - that all got a clean bill of health.  He replaced the isolater and added an attenuator which dropped the Power (dBmV) on downstream from ~9 to~3dBmV

We had one day of relatively stable connection but now we've gone from constant 5-15% packet loss to blocks of near 100% (see BQM below) and lots of T3 and T4 timeouts

3.0 Upstream channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1US_TYPE_STDMA00986
2US_TYPE_STDMA00986
3US_TYPE_STDMA00986
4US_TYPE_STDMA00986

red=packet loss!red=packet loss!

After 3months of Gig1/Hub4, over 30 hours of time on the phone trying to get hold of any support, 2 engineers I cannot understand why anyone could recommend this product.  It's obviously been pushed out in a hurry to grab the Gigabit fibre headlines in each region before competitors cable up.

This graph sums up my current 'upgraded' experience.  Pictures say a 1000 words (if I didn't use a picture I'd be using 1000 swear words).  This is not a one off or a local area fault - this is my daily experience less than a week after an engineer call to fix my fault.  My equipment has been checked by multiple engineers and I've swapped out every cable/computer post-hub in the chain several times - the fault is not anything I can fix from my side but I cannot get any support from Virgin.  

Lesson of the day seems to be don't waste money on on Gig1 /Hub4 product, stick to reliable 650Mbps or lower - there is absolutely no benefit in the Gig1 product - even when I get a working connection we see zero benefit in the speed.

2fb483d989f4f28d6c0dbfb8cc0d4c55c9a618d8-24-10-2020

Today's graph ;

cb10d01369fd0ebc0b235909632fd0e38880110d-29-10-2020

is at least a small improvement on yesterday's

a884e0ce98c153125fc23240e738f100c08f75e7-28-10-2020

and for this I'm paying about £100 a month for the premium service.

Got called by complaints team twice yesterday - both times they called me, went through security checks then was told they needed to put me on hold.  Both times was on hold for 15-20 mins then the call was disconnected.  That was a particularly joyful waste of my time.

Again, if anyone is thinking of Gig1 then personally I would absolutely not recommend it until the service is more mature - stick with Hub2 or 3 and the more stable  fibre broadband offerings Virgin have.  They might look slower on paper but you honestly won't notice the speed difference from 2-300MBps to 1GBps unless you are one of the tiny percentage of use cases but you will notice the instability if you have to use Zoom/Teams/Skype/online gaming

@JennyCide  Got called by complaints team twice yesterday - both times they called me, went through security checks then was told they needed to put me on hold.  Both times was on hold for 15-20 mins then the call was disconnected.  That was a particularly joyful waste of my time.

Wow.  Outbound calling to put customers on hold and then disconnect them.  That is a remarkable innovation by Virgin Media in their never ending quest to push the boundaries of World Class Appallingness.  Even though the company is already at the leading of customer service incompetence, it would appear that they aren't resting on their laurels, but are pioneering news ways of aggravating customers.  

Don't let anybody tell you that VM are rooted in the past, just tell them how this company is leaving no avenue unexplored in their never ending quest to find the Absolute Zero of customer satisfaction.

i'm having the same problem good to know it's not just me but worse to know that they don't know how to fix it, it's so frustrating not being able to get hold of anyone who knows what they are talking about (apart from the geniuses on here, and that is meant in a good way!) It seems like such a small thing but it really does get you down, especially when things like the house security is linked to it and when it goes off so does all of that too i'm waiting for second line support to call me, and the chat was actually useful today until it cut me offf AAARRGHHHHHHHHH!  

I think i will give them 2 more days then try a complaint to CISAS, i would advise you to try if you havent already

JennyCide
On our wavelength

Latest update to this is that the complaints dept have agreed to downgrade me from Gig1 to 500Mbps.  I'm waiting for Hub 3 to be delivered but am still currently on Hub4 still even though they have lowered my account (as you can see from this SamKnow screengrab today)

JennyCide_0-1604584032809.png

.  Interestingly though - the day I was downgraded from Gig1 to 500Mbps service the packet loss instantly cleared up - I still get some breakups on video calling but compared to previously it's nothing and is actually usable - look at the complete lack of red in today's graph 

6ac2d26eecd59e3634d2283e167aac8d57456fc6-05-11-2020

I'd love to test Gig1 again in the future when the HUB4 works but for now I'll stand behind saying it's not fit for purpose and nor is the customer support to back it up - this failed experiment has cost me a lot of money in increased charges for a service that didn't work, over 30 hours on the phone and multiple engineer visits