Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Gig1 speeds not being reached

I upgraded to the Gig1 service on 24th March and since I have not been able to achieve the expected speeds. The speedtest never gets past 500 Mbps wired, wireless or even with a wired connection with the superhub 4 in modem mode and the computer as the only connected device. I've tried different times of the day but the results just don't get even to the minimum connection. Upload speeds are fine and as expected.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig1 speeds not being reached

Hi, possibly a stupid question but is/are the device(s) you're testing with capable of working to those speeds

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi yes, the laptop has a gigabit network card.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

What do you get on Sam Knows?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

On a speed test I tend to top out at 800Mbps-ish (I got 870Mps just now) as it seems far more intensive on the CPU than Sam Knows, but get around 1.1Gbps on Sam Knows to the router, and 940Mbps (limited by the 1Gb port) to my PC.

Your laptop most likely has a 1Gbps NIC, but can't handle that level of speed. The above will prove it either way though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've tried the samkonws test which confirms the speed into the hub of 1082Mbps, I can only test wireless at the moment and that gave a speed to computer of 515Mbps. Will try a wired connection later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

If samknows is proving the speed it most definitely is a device issue.

Cheers

Paul

Field Technician 71589

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Speed of wireless NICs depend on what spec they are. Not all wireless NICs can do 1Gbs.

Its only the lastest wireless NIC AC spec that can hit that speed. This called 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)

I suspect you have an 802.11n or an 802.11ac NIC in your device.

Or you could be on the 2.4GHz Band, Get your Wireless NIC to connect to the 5GHz band.

Can you post the name of the Wireless NIC in here ??

Full Spec of Wireless

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The wireless adapter is an intel wifi 6 AX200 160Mhz.

The ethernet controller is a Realtek Gaming GbE family controller.

Given the age and specification of the laptop, I would be surprised that it is not capable of the higher speeds that can be achieved. I appreciate that the limitations of the wifi specifications will mean reduced speeds, but I am more concerned that the wired connection is not able to achieve better speeds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The Intel wifi 6 AX200 NIC should be able to max out at 2.4Gbps. SPEC

The SH4. SPEC

I guess you running WINDOWS 10, then you need to look into Task Manager, under the Performance Tab.

Click on the Wifi Tab. Like Below.

wifi_nic_01.JPG

What does your connection type Say ??

Also then right click any where on the Moving Wifi Graph, and select View Network Details.

wifi_nic_02.JPG

What does your Link speed say ???

My Wifi AC card maxs out at 867Mbps, i would need to get a AX card to get faster speeds

--
Red (VM SH2 AC Beta tester)
Running on 350Mb VM service with SH3 in Modem Mode, with a ASUS RT-AC5300 router. With this setup I get Fantastic WIRED and WIRELESS Signals in my home. I dont work for VM. But I work in IT, and I know my tech.
My advice is at your own risk. If you are happy with my answers please press Kudo ?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The connection type says 802.11ac, and the link speed says 867Mbps which is what I would expect as the SH4 doesn't support the ax standard. It seems reasonble to me to expect the speeds to get closer to the ac limit, and certainly be better over a wired connection.

0 Kudos