cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig1 speed

ashleycoombs205
Tuning in

We signed up as a new customer a couple months ago on the m350 package then I heard about rolling out the gig1 I decided to opt to upgrade. We received our hub 4.0 yesterday after a long wait, plugged it all in and waited and waited for it to do its thing….. After about 30 mins it was active yay. So I thought. Carried out a speed test and was shocked at how poor it was 455mbps (WiFi)so done another this time even lower 288mbps(WiFi). So I rang the technical department, the chap said he needed to activate it and call back in 5mins if your still having issues. Another 30 mins later still the same. Called back and spoken to a different tech who said that’s odd, asked me to switch the hub off and let it do its thing. Now we are getting 520mbps(eithernet) and 380mbps(WiFi). I’m not impressed, these speeds are poor for the cost and the connection isn’t stable what so ever compared to our 350 package. Wish I never upgraded.

Looking at others posts it’s a hub issue not capable to coping with the gig1 speeds ie delivering to our devices. I wanted the hub 5 when I placed my order but told I’ll get an email if I was offered one.

About my home, all my devices ie laptops, tv and games are connected via Ethernet cable and mobile phones are connected to WiFi. At the time of those speed tests on first start up no real bandwidth was used ie gaming or streaming. Just like to state this before someone suggested that as a cause for poor internet speed.

My thoughts are to cancel our gig1 internet and go back to our old 350 where it’s more stable downloading and uploading. Plus I’m £30 better off. Argh 😣 

27 REPLIES 27

@ashleycoombs205 wrote:

Haven’t tried that. But tbh I’m just going to cancel to go back to the 350 package. It’s the inconsistency of speeds that annoy me, at an extra cost I’m not wearing it.

Fair enough, however it may not be the connection considering the HUB is being delivered full speed, I assume?

AEAD4EA3-8B62-4E69-8751-739FCBDACC9D.png

Hub is getting the speed.

@ashleycoombs205 wrote:

AEAD4EA3-8B62-4E69-8751-739FCBDACC9D.png

Yeah, looks like a good connection.

Up to you.

Out of interest if you speed test two devices at the same time what is the overall speed?

Wired laptop the speeds can go up to 700 then the next test it’ll drop down to 300 and I’ve seen lower than that. WiFi connection max of 501 and lows of 220ish and again lower. All tests have been done with no other use on the network.

Hi @ashleycoombs205,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts. Sorry to hear you are having issues with your broadband speeds since getting the Gig1 and hub 4 upgrades.

We can understand the frustration caused and we want to best help. I have been able to access your account using forum details and I can see you recently downgraded your package to a hub 3 as a resolution for this issue. Just to confirm, how has service been since the upgrade? Do you need any further help?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, thanks for your reply. Very confused! I was told to keep the hub 4 but personally I’d like to go back to the 3.. can I do this? As I have got a collection email the other day.

Also I was told when I signed up to the gig1 there would be no £35 charge which looks like has still been added to my bill for next month. I’m sick of rings up this week! If you could verify that would be wonderful.

Merry Xmas to yourself 

Hi ashleycoombs205

The downgrade to the hub3 would not be possible now sorry 

How ever I can look at that £35 fee for you, that's no problem at all 

I will need to send you a private message to pass security before I can access the account 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thanks. I’ve downgraded internet too the 500 package so can I go back to the hub3?

when I wanted to cancel my gig 1 upgrade (still within the 14day cooling off period) I was told to couldn’t go back to the original package at the same price! Very disappointed. So I opted for the 500 package but that still hasn’t taken effect yet. Guessing so I can still be charged! I shall be writing a letter of complaint regards our experience.

I'm very sorry to hear that you have had to downgrade @ashleycoombs205

Can I ask how things are looking since your last post? 

Unfortunately we would not be able to provide the Hub 3.

Have you been able to raise a complaint at all? This is something we can assist with you if you would like? 

Thanks again.