cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gig 1 but no speed increase

scott_kelly1977
On our wavelength

Hi upgraded to Gig1 around 2 months ago from M600 and to date there is not one iota of difference in speed.

A wireless speed test generally shows me just shy of 500 which is exactly the same as before.

I know these types of issues have been posted before and wondered if there is anything I can do??

Thanks for your help 

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You havent said what Hub model is it - Hub4 or 5?

500 on wifi is about maximum possible for a Hub4 - as its wifi5.

See this excellent thread with good examples of maximum theoretical wifi speeds on wifi 5 with different “parameters” varying.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Useful-chart-to-show-why-you-will-not-get-1G-on-Wi...

A Hub5 (wifi6) will go a bit higher - but only if your device is Wifi6 enabled - are they?

For close to 1GB speeds you have to be on ethernet cable connections

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi scott_kelly1977,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been experiencing some slow speeds.

I've had a look at things from our side and can see that a few of the hubs levels are out of specification. I'll need to arrange an engineer visit, before I can do this I'll need a few details from you first. I've popped you over a private message for this (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me over private message scott_kelly1977,

I've arranged an engineer for you now, you can view the time and date of the appointment via your online account here

Alex_Rm