Menu
Scott_Butler
Tuning in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Gig 1 Fibre slow speed

gig 1 fibre ethernet.pnggig 1 fibre wifi.pngI hope you can help, A little over a month ago I had Gig1 Fibre installed but ever since I haven’t had anywhere near those speeds, I’ve already had 2 engineer visits of which he couldn’t find anything wrong as when he done the speed test through Sam Knows it said that the Hub was receiving the 1 Gig speeds, and he then said it must be my devices which it isn’t the case as my devices have the latest WIFI 6 AX chip plus it also has a 2.5 gig ethernet port which I use a CAT7 cable on of which the cable it’s self supports up to 10Gbps and all drivers have been updated. So I would like this looked into further please. As you can see below I have included a screenshot of the speeds that I ’am getting on Wi-Fi & Ethernet, I would like this looked into ASAP or I will have to take it further.

gig 1 fibre.png 2.png

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Gig 1 Fibre slow speed

650Mbps over wireless is pretty good going to be honest.

Although your device is showing as connected at 1Gbps for ethernet, it doesn't appear to be the case.

Could you access your HUB and check the 'Connected devices' tab to see what speed the HUB believes the device is connected at?

I've also noticed that you are using a USB ethernet adapter. Is this plugged into a USB 3.x port?

0 Kudos
Scott_Butler
Tuning in
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Yeah but it’s not what I’m paying for though. 

I would need to disconnect the hub from modem mode then as I have it connected to my ASUS WiFi 6 mesh system. 

and from what I’ve seen in the connected devices on the ASUS gui it’s connected at that.

Yeah Ethernet port 3 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I did wonder how you were getting a Wifi 6 connection considering the HUB 4 doesn't have it, so the third party router/mesh system makes sense!

What you are 'paying for' and what you get on wireless are two very different things.

Gigabit speeds are only guaranteed on a wired connection, even with third party routers.

Even though your USB ethernet adapter is showing as connected at 1Gbps it doesn't mean it will get that throughput. I can see you are using a laptop, not plugged into the mains. Does the speed change when plugged into the mains (Just thinking about power saving options on the USB controller).

Do you have another wired device you can try?

0 Kudos
Scott_Butler
Tuning in
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Well when I was on M350 I got the full speed so I expect the same with gig 1 plus the fact my friend in Birmingham actually gets the full gig 1 results on his speed test. 

and I never had a problem with it being unplugged before when I had m350, when it is plugged in though there only a 20 mbs difference.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The Ethernet on the Hub 4 is only Gigabit so the maximum you would get is 940mbps, the speed of the network card on the device will only run at the speed of the slowest device.

The engineer is right if the SamKnows shows 1gbps coming in then it has to be something on your local network, that is slowing it down, when you do a SamKnows it also shows the speed to the device, what was that figure.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Scott_Butler
Tuning in
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

C8C88500-120D-4506-B2ED-53C1C4E55260.jpegOh really well considering speeds like this at my mates house I think differently 

0 Kudos
Scott_Butler
Tuning in
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Plus I’m using the hub 4 in modem mode with my WiFi 6 mesh system 

0 Kudos
Scott_Butler
Tuning in
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Plus if you read above you’ll also see that I’ve got WiFi 6 ax chip in my laptop that gives me wireless speeds above a gig, and up to 2.5 gig Ethernet depending on weather I use usb 3.0 or c type connections. 

0 Kudos
Scott_Butler
Tuning in
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The speed on Sam knows was 350 mbs 

0 Kudos