Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Fast download speed but slow browsing ??

I am struggling with slow browsing speeds in area 18 - TN10. 

Download speeds are fine. I'm paying for 100mbps and I'm getting roughly that on speed test via  Ethernet. Trying to browse websites is awful though, pages are slow to load whereas they were previously much quicker. It's been the same for about a couple of weeks now. Only a problem on the PC connected by ethernet to HUB 3.0 - laptop and other wi-fi devices are all fine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Fast download speed but slow browsing ??

Dowload and install another browser (Firefox, Opera, etc) and then see if that one is any quicker

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply - I tried Firefox earlier - no difference.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you connect the PC on wifi is it any different? Try connecting the PC with a new ethernet cable.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

PC is old DELL Optiplex 390 so can't connect via wi-fi. Other laptop and phones/ipads can connect via wi-fi and work fine. Changed ethernet cable but browsing still very slow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hang on - all back up to speed again - maybe it was the ethernet cable - thanks for your help - much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

OK - was going to say as its a Dell.... it isnt running SmartByte (unbeknown to you) is it - try switching it off?
That has been reported by others to affect speeds - see below. Also if its running antivirus package - disable that and see if it stops it.
---------
Dell speed problem

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Download-speeds/td-p/3894056

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/slow-speeds-in-area-20/m-p/4044245#M212401

Antivirus

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/362mbps-package-doesn-t-get-past-high-100-s-limited/td-p/...

--------------------
John
--------------------

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

DNS Routing issue, probably fixed itself but in future try Google DNS or another similar service.