cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Fine, Wifi Awful

thepkhunter
Settling in

Hi all,

I've got a steady and reliable 215mbps down via ethernet to my PC, but wifi devices are all consistently only managing 5-15mbps down. This is completely consistent, and happens regardless of signal strength or number of devices connected.

I have a hub 3.0 with no abnormal lights, and I've tried resetting it several times. Signal strength is great at every device.

I've tried all the VM troubleshooting and no problems are detected. Same with the onboard diagnostics in the advanced settings. 

Thanks for your time!

4 REPLIES 4

JOE-C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good evening,

I have sent you a private message to see if I can assist and troubleshoot this for you.

Thanks Joe.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@JOE-C wrote:

Good evening,

I have sent you a private message to see if I can assist and troubleshoot this for you.

Thanks Joe.

why go to pm - its a help forum so help should be posted on the public forum - what can you possibly say by pm that cannot be posted - its nothing to do with an account so ne security to pass

to the op - what wifi devices are you using - have you split the wifi bands - have you turned off smart wifi and chosen non busy channels

Tony.
Sacked VIP

You could try this as a temporary measure...

1. Turn off Smart WIFI

2. Turn off 2.4g WIFI

3. Make sure 5G WIFI channel width is set to 20/40/80.

This should force your mobile device to use only the 5G WIFI 

The 20/40/80 means that the full width is made available on that band.

You may want to restart your mobile device once the hubs setting have been applied to again force it to refresh the connection.

Retest.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try risc19's suggestions and also note this...
--------------------------------------------------------

To address the wifi issues, VM now supply “wifi Pods” (not “boosters”). Pods are free to customers on 1GB or Ultimate Oomph packages - is that you?

If not you will be charged £5/month. Its a simple solution and should work for you. However, you would soon pay off that cost by buying a "better" wireless solution that will be yours to own and use forever but it isn’t the simple plug and play option of the Pod(s).

Get either a…
(1) Mesh System, (2) Wireless router, (3) Wireless access point (4) A combination of (2) & (3).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.