cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer service appalling

Samj121
Joining in

I have had problems with virgin for nearly 2 years and apart from going to the ombudsman I don’t know what to do. My issue is intermittent slow speeds and connection drop outs, I started on the 100mb package and at some times speed tests would show 17mb or lower with not enough speed to open a webpage on my mobile phone without switching to 4G the connection would also drop out numerous times throughout the day and evening 7 days a week leaving Alex device, mobile phone, laptop etc unusable.

I called for help and was told the package I was on was not powerful enough so to fix this I should upgrade to the 350mb one.

I did this and nothing changed, again I called and I was told this was due to black spots within the home, I explained that that couldn’t be correct as the drop outs would effect every device in the home at the same time, even a mobile phone or laptop being used within 3’ of the router with no obstructions, it sits in a glass shelf with nothing around it.

I was told that this was a router issue and I would need a new one, this would be sent to me FOC within 3-5 working days.

It never came

Again I called to complain and was told the problem was indeed the router and a new one would be £120. I explained my previous complaints and I was told there was nothing that could be done and I shouldn’t of been told it was FOC.

I carried on trying to live with it for a number of weeks because it’s basically too much hassle to try and call you guys, you make it an art form to divert and cut people off.

This time I was told I needed to upgrade to the 500mb package and this would solve my problems completely.

I foolishly believed and guess what? Nothing changed.

I called to complain and was told I needed wifi extenders and that Netgear were the best, £45 later still no change.

I again complained by your on line web form and never received a call back, what I did get was an email saying that you had attempted to contact me and I had not answered so you would take it my problem was solved, funny that as my phone never rang once from you and why not leave an answer phone message?.

I again filled in the on line complaints form and again not a thing from you.

Third time lucky I finally got a call back from a lovely lady who agreed the service was poor and would send an engineer around then call me after he had been.

The engineer came and said it was difficult to diagnose due to the fault being intermittent, he suspected the hub but said they no longer carried these with them but would order one leaving me a new LAN cable, he also asked why I had netgear wifi boosters and not the proper virgin ones, he again said he would order three of these for me as I was on the 500mb package.

Eagerly awaiting my new hub, extenders and a call from the nice lady I waited, guess what? She never called, they never came.

5 times since then I have filled in the on line complaints form, and made two calls, one of which your staff basically shouted at me and wouldn’t let me get a word in edgewise, constantly telling me the penalty for cancellation.  I have received one phone call from a lovely guy who again said he would escalate this to his manager and she would 100% call me back the following day, she did actually call whilst I was on the other line and left a lovely message saying she would try again later, guess what? Yup.

I have tried so many times to get you to listen to me and fix the problem, I have tried an equal amount of times for you to downgrade me back to the 100mb package but you constantly ignore everything. I have now cancelled my direct debit and I’m 100% prepared to show up in the small claims court and say “yes your honour, let me tell you why I’ve not paid my bill”

Do you think this is a good service and do you think my internet is fit purpose? I’m paying £73 per month for a package that hardly works.

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I've not read your post exhaustively and others are far better placed to help with some of the finer detail, but as a headline view..

Virgin Media (in common with all broadband ISPs) supply you with a broadband connection, and a free router. No-one will guarantee wireless speeds for the simple reason there's too many variables outwith their control. So do you get your expected speeds over an Ethernet cabled connection?

Following on from that, I can't work out if your issues are purely wireless related or if they affect all connections including hard-wired ones. That will help ID if you have a broadband problem or a wireless one.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The same issue with wired, I understand “upto” speeds what I don’t accept is 20 plus drop outs per 24 hour period 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Lovely. In that case...

1: Let's get all your modem stats.. Goto to http://192.168.0.1 (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) but don't log in. Click on "router status", and copy & paste the data from each of the tabs.

2: If you haven't already, please setup a Broadband Quality Monitor and post a link to your live graph. It monitors your connection 24/7 and provides excellent diagnosis of any underlying issues.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Samj121,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having with your service. 

Have you been able to get the information requested by japitts?

^Martin