Menu
stewartcclaing
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Complaint - Slower than expected broadband speeds

We pay for the highest speed package with Virgin, but on average only get between 1/5 and 1/10 of the advertised speed. We have drop outs and it is very inconsisent, even though my main computer is connected via ethernet. 

I cannot get through to anyone on the phone because the options never put you through to a human and live chat are useless because they just refer you to the phone. 

I had an email saying that they had a resolution which was "education given" I'm sorry, but what information. all they were telling me was all the usual things, mainly, turn it off and on again in various ways. Having worked in technology for most of my life, I know when the system is faulty. 

Can anyone tell me, how on earth I get through to speak to a human who wont treat me like someone who is to inept to use an off switch? 

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Slower than expected broadband speeds

What package are you on and what down/up speeds do you get on ethernet connections?

Then, post up your Hub/network connection details and someone will check to see if there is a problem there.  In your browser’s URL box type in http://192.168.0.1  (or http://192.168.100.1 - if in modem mode) and hit return. On the first page up [there should be no need to login if you have done so before unless you have the New Hub4 when you do] click on the “router status” icon/text at bottom-middle of first page up and then copy/paste as “Formatted Text” (not images) 3 FULL sets of data onto here – 2 pages from the Downstream, 2 from the Upstream, & the Network Logs page. Don't worry too much about the formatting it can be easily read & DON’T include personal data or MAC addresses - blank them out - if you copy/paste the data, the board software will do this for you (you may need to click the "submit" button again.

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
stewartcclaing
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have been through all of these steps already but thank you for responding when virgin themselves essentially refuse to assist.

I find it even more annoying that it's taken a month for virgin to get back to me and say they attempted to call, which they didn't but it took less than an hour for one of their employees to change the title of my post from "how do I complain?" to "Slower than expected broadband speeds" This is absolutely ludicrous. Not only can I not get through to someone, but the people who I'm supposed to be able to contact essentially refuse to even acknowledge that I have a complaint in the first place. I regret ever signing up to Virgin. If I had known their level of service would be so poor, I would never have signed up. The only good part was the engineer who came to install the thing. He was a nice chap.

0 Kudos
stewartcclaing
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin media keep changing my post subject.

I put a post up, with the subject. "how do I complain?" and within an hour, virgin had changed the name of the subject. I couldn't get a response from them on live chat or calling and it's been weeks chasing my complaint. but the moment I post on here, they even change the subject line. They are in complete denial of any problems I may be having and at this point are just avoiding confrontation with an annoyed customer.

Anyone getting this kind of poor service from Virgin? how do I get through to a person?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin media keep changing my post subject.

Call in 150 VM line - or 0345 454 1111 (other phones) n.b.- the UK call centre is still picking up and calling at 08.00 (Mon-Sat) or 09.00 (Sun) gives the best chance of getting through quickly.

You can also text them on 07533 051809 include account name/number and what the issue is – replies usually take longer.

Or, a VM person should pick this thread up and be able to help but it can take 5-10 days.

Or write to...

Complaints, Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Lisa_CC
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi stewartcclaing,

I've merged your new thread onto here as there is no need for a new thread. The title was edited for clarity as it helps the staff and other members on here only. It does not affect the assistance our members and staff provide. Please wait for a Forum Member or staff to respond to your thread.

Thanks,

Lisa
0 Kudos
stewartcclaing
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for replying. I've tried getting through multiple times on that number but I always end up with the automated voice saying that I need to check online for more information and then it hangs up. I doubt texting would take longer, given that it's been a month anyway and although they have said they tried to call, they did not. They are just hoping I've forgotten the issue.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@stewartcclaing wrote:

I have been through all of these steps already but thank you for responding when virgin themselves essentially refuse to assist.

Post up the details for us to take a look then - and the BQM link.

--------------------
John
--------------------

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

this place is not a direct line to VM - its initially other customers trying to help - VM do have a presence here - the change of the title is by a VM mod who is there to keep things on track - i guess from your explanation it was felt you were needing help to solve the problem - to complain you need to look here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-complaint

that [sort of] covers that - if you want help with the technical side of your problem then post some info and people will wade in - start with some detail and

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

if its an earlier hub button is top right

if its a hub4 then you need to log in to get the info

Tony
0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint - Slower than expected broadband speeds

Hi @stewartcclain, 

Welcome to our community forum page, happy to have you here.

Just to clarify a few things up, have you carried out any basic checks yourself to diagnose the issue? I have taken a look at your account and can see no area outages or faults on your account but, I have seen that you last carried out a reboot 3 weeks ago, so it might be an idea to carry out a reboot recently to see if this improves your speeds.

Please do let us know if this helps, and if not we can take a look into this further for you.

Thanks

Sasha

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos