Menu
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bromley - High latency and dropped packets

@JohnEpton But as far as I can see from our previous discussions your broadband connection is still subject to poor latency, even though the phone line works?  That won't help Rennan, because their requirements are gaming and video/voice conferencing for work, which won't be served over a VM landline. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
srkain
Tuning in
Message 12 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bromley - High latency and dropped packets

A little update to my saga.

I'm now off Virgin and moved to an FTTC provider.

Although my contractual speeds are slower than with Virgin (200/20 down to 58/13), my latency issue is now gone.

Totally different gaming experience and even general browsing. Pages loads pretty much instantly and the overall experience is much better:

d9a6d2d2eef82f77c1a8aa1f0fb1bf3ae85e3aa7-01-02-2021

The FTTC line is still in its first days and the ISP is still testing how much the down/up the line can sinc to. But is pretty much solid at 58/13 since installation.

The over-subscription issue here got so bad that I had to get a 4G unlimited 30-day contract sim to use in the meantime.

Impressively enough the latency over the 4G connection was much better than Virgin and I was able to work from home using it.

0 Kudos