cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband speed

mahutchinson
Tuning in

Just noticed that my discount period has ended and in May bill went up to around £75 for 200 Mb Broadband, TV and phone. In June it went up again to around £95 and has stayed there. Some of my speeds this year have been 11.46 Mb/s (13 Jan), 21.90 Mb/s (23 Feb), 0.68 Mb/s (21 May), 0.49 Mb/s (20 Jun), 8.39 Mb/s (8 Jul) and 1.71 Mb/s (7 Aug). This is way worse than I was getting on the 100Mb service. I think I've only seen the speed over 100 Mb a couple of times. I just did a test on here and it tells me my hub needs re-setting as it is in modem mode and this could cause issues. I have been using that mode as the wi-fi was so poor using the Virgin router. What issues could be caused by modem mode ? I have read a number of times of people claiming that Virgin deliberately scupper the speed when you use modem mode and re-route your broadband via a slower server.  

20 REPLIES 20

@mahutchinson wrote:

Snip...

Do I have to put it back in router mode first ?

Yes you do, or disconnect your own router from the hub, connect your PC/laptop instead and then reboot the VM hub. Then see if your PC/laptop has an internet connection and the run a speedtest.

OK, so I managed to get a speed straight from the hub which seemed to be full speed (200mb/s+). Wi-fi speeds are around 10-17mb/s and my Powerline adaptor speeds (my house isn't cabled for ethernet) are even slower (around 10mb/s). Should these speeds not be faster, especially Powerline ? I did try to set the hub back to router mode to test speeds in different places and for different hardware but couldn't get any wifi from it.  

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mahutchinson, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community.

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing slow speeds when using WiFi. 

We would recommend taking a look at our support page here for useful information on how to improve speeds within your home. 

Are the adapters you have from ourselves?

Thanks, 

Nat

The adapters are tp-link. My latest tests are that everything works fine using the hub as router. 2.5GHz speeds are pretty slow away from the router but that is presumably due to brick walls etc. in the way. Ethernet speeds through powerline adaptors are still slow, maybe my electrical mains cabling is not good ?

With the hub in router mode everything seems slowed to a crawl. All wi-fi is slow and ethernet is slow even directly connected to the tp-link router so perhaps a router issue if the hub is not slowing down in modem mode.

Doing some more reading on the forum and elsewhere this seems to be a common and ongoing problem for a number of years with this hub.

Hi mahutchinson,

Thank you for reaching back out and for the update, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and it looks like you have now put our Router min Router mode, have you now removed your 3rd party Router?

Regards

Paul.

Yes, I have. Having read many posts on this issue spanning a number of years it is clearly a Hub 3 problem which has never been resolved. I have given up trying to sort the problem and will be moving to Community Fibre as their hardware is hopefully better and speeds are much higher for the price.  

Have you got the Connect App - https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/connect-app - this will when set up, allow you to do a wireless scan in the property that should help with this. Hub would need to be in router mode as well to do this.

Let us know how you get on

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks, I have done scans already but not sure this is relevant if ethernet speeds are also affected by modem mode.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses, 

With regards to the wired connection, is there any dropoff in speeds when in router mode?
Let us know,

Kain

The cabled speed in both modes through my powerline adaptors is very low, around 10-15 mbps. I have now also tested the speed through my router when connected to the hub in router mode and it's low speed again. This is quite confusing as I am getting similar low cabled speed through my router with the hub in either mode but also through the hub and powerline adaptors without my router. Only direct cable to the router mode hub gives full speed.