Menu
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband slower after upgrade to M500

Get on the phone fella - useless on here it takes a week for them to even see it. You have the speed guarantee on your side - a contract works both sides - hold them to theirs!
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

speedtest.net is fine - well it is for me - gives the same result as the other site linked to above - until the OP sorts out his connection he cannot really hope for good speeds - the 200 speed test results he posted are over 12 months old which is no measure of what they were just before the upgrade

one point to add - 80 or there abouts is typical of a faulty lan cable or a bad connection on a lan cable - so reseat the lan cables and retest - if that does not help change them making sure they are cat5e or better

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Yeh his stats are knackered. I just mentioned it as I can’t explain my problem it makes no sense. Run a speed test on my iPad Pro over wireless it will max out at about 380mbps, do it my server using speedtest.net and it will peak out at less then 200 and that’s on Ethernet. I use an alternative site and it will max out on the server. Thinking it might be a peering issue to the servers I am connecting to. I can’t find one though that will max out thought after using around 20 different test servers. It’s why I am thinking it might be something to do with windows, I know they have activated encryption on there test servers now as well so could be linked to that. I happen to know the iPad app doesn’t use encryption for the speed tests.
0 Kudos
catchcoder
Tuning in
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've phoned Virgin Media and an engineer is coming tomorrow morning 🙂

Thanks all!

happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Got to love the next day engineer guarantee also!

One said to me - they want to get installs right so they have less faults so they can do next day. seems fair
0 Kudos
catchcoder
Tuning in
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Update: 

Last year I got the VIP package and so they came to install the phone line and V6 boxes, I already had broadband install which was back when I Blueyonder broadband. The phone line was dead so the engineer requested a new cable to be pulled through, to my amazement they only connected the new phone wires.

Also lately, we have been getting a problem with some scrambled pictures on a lot of the SD channels e.g. Magic, Animal Planet, however, all the HD channels were ok.

So today the engineer came and just connected the new wire up straight away and SD channels were instantly ok and the engineer could get 400 DL on his device, I could only get 319 DL. Which is a lot better than yesterday.  

Why didn't they just connect the new cable for preventive maintenance last year? Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi catchcoder,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I am sorry the new cable wasn't fitted earlier

I can see by your speed test you are getting a much faster speed than your previous screen shot, Is everything still running OK?

Kind regards

Paul

0 Kudos
GraYam
Joining in
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've been upgraded to 350 from 200 fter moaning about package monthly price rise. Upload 50% faster but down load slower. Using Speed test. Will monitor for improvement in download speed but what about VMs speed guarantee??

Actually the big gripe is about the escalating monthly cost of the package abd getting hold of someone in CS who will listen to what I want rather than bombarding me with unwanted add ons. How do you get to speak to more senior people in the service chain than the squeaky voiced ladies who simply don't listen.... 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi GraYam,

Sorry to hear about your download speed, how is it since you last posted?

Please see this link for our broadband speed guide.

Regards,

Lisa

0 Kudos