Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Broadband extension plug

Hi, my broadband works well but won’t reach my daughters room upstairs. We bought an extension router that she has plugged in. Although she now has a connection it cuts out all the time.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Broadband extension plug

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-booster-troubleshooting

Try the above link , hope this helps

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi, are you talking about a repeater? 
if so where did you place it, and did it set up correctly with your virgin hub? If that was successful, the range extender needs to be in between the hub and your daughters room. 
ian 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hard reset both devices also try to change the ethernet cable. It could be damaged.

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin however all responses on here are based on my experiences in the field alone and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

I am a Virgin Media technician (71786) Can you clarify the name of Your new extension router, Usually there are a number of ways in which You can handle Wifi around Your home.

1) You can go out and buy a high-end router which will expand the reach of Your wifi signal.

2) You can buy powerline adapters which allow You to connect two to four plug devices together via Your mains electrical circuit in Your home, these plug devices use Your mains as a bridge to one another by sending down the internet signals, these devices can emit Wifi signals in places You would usually experience dropouts in Your home (Your powerlines must be connected on the same electrical circuit to work).

3) If it is not possible to buy powerline adapters due to Your home being on multiple electrical circuits You can look into wifi range extenders, These I would personally consider as last resort but can also extend Your wifi to reach to further parts of Your home.

4) You can also look into a mesh network system, these using multiple devices plotted around Your home which communicates with one another by passing wifi information when needed. This is considered the better option to completely cover Your home with wifi.

Hopefully, that gives you a better idea, if You have any more questions please pm me. If you could mark this post as solved and click the thumbs up button that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

J