cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Behind competition on Upload Speed, and poor VM customer service!

DissapointedVM
On our wavelength

Does VM not care anymore about loyal customers or keeping competitive?! Phoned up as they've decided to sky rocket my 350mb broadband only bill to £55?!?! I mentioned competition were doing 500mb and 75mb upload (twice the speed of VM) for £40, and that the best they could do was £44 for 350mb with 35mb upload?? So I'm paying more for a poorer service, do you not care about your loyal customers, because you pretty much admitted the competition was better and a lower price?! VM need to do something desperately about upload speeds, and maybe also undercut prices if you are not going to do this as people like me will leave.

Not sure if any admins care, but this is your last chance to show your customers that you care, as I am not at all impressed with the support on the phone. And to add insult if I was a new customer 350mb with phone was less (£39) then I'm paying just for broadband.

VM used to be good, but now they've lost the speed race, it's like they given up?

16 REPLIES 16

Sounds like you work for VM, that was the kind of take it or leave it mentality they showed, lol. 

It's the competitive market which all of us should want as it keeps suppliers on their toes, and it's bizarre that you are a beneficiary but don't appreciate it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whats there to complain about? If a rival gives a better product for your needs then simply go for it

I guess you guys are right, I was hoping in the VM forums you'd be more encouraging to make me stay rather then pushing everyone away to the competition? 

We are VM customers but not employees or slavish fanboys of VM. If another ISP suits you better then you should leave.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@DissapointedVM wrote:

I guess you guys are right, I was hoping in the VM forums you'd be more encouraging to make me stay rather then pushing everyone away to the competition? 

We're not trying to push you away, but we are trying to help you - we don't get paid to do this, we don't get incentives, we don't hold shares in VM, and we're open minded about whether your best outcome is sticking with VM.  The forum staff are around to help, and they are paid, but this is a help forum, and they don't have authority or systems access to offer or agree discounts.  What we (users) will do is try and help you through offering advice on getting connection problems or wifi issues resolved, and strategies for dealing with complaints, retentions, or negotiating discounts. Nobody here is falling over themselves to offer you a big discount and beg you to stay, that's because we can't, and that isn't the purpose of this forum.

Neither forum members nor staff can get VM to change a long established business model of attracting new customers through discounted acquisition pricing that doesn't fully reflect costs.  That doesn't "discriminate against loyal customers", VM are simply looking to make the margins they need to justify their shareholder's investment in the business, plus operating costs.  When VM offer an introductory discount they know that some customers will leave as soon as it ends, some will negotiate a discount, some will pay the asked for rate for months/years.  VM's pricing team do calculations to work out what they need to have as introductory prices to grow or maintain overall customer numbers, and what they need the "standard pricing" to be to keep the business going, and feed in to the retentions team what levels of discount are commercially acceptable.  That's normal in many sectors, we all benefit from that when we join, so there's no grounds from complaint there; In terms of negotiating a further discount when that initial offer ends, there's no getting away from the fact that you'll have to work for it, and you need some leverage, which isn't anything to do with "loyalty" or "fairness" (both of which are nonsense concepts in any commercial transaction), but only about you explaining to VM that unless they can make you an offer you're happy with, you will leave, and in the polite discussion that follows, agreeing some position that you and VM are happy with. Here's an example, which might not be applicable to your circumstances, but gives an idea of how I recommend approaching such discussions. 

cje85
Trouble shooter

VM is beginning to look overpriced compared to rival services, which generally have superior customer service too. Sky have launched 500Mb (60Mb up) for £45/month (£50 out of contract) whereas 500Mb (35Mb up) on VM is £62. 

As FTTP from Openreach and other alt-nets expands over the coming years VM is going to face tough competition from ISPs offering the same speeds (and better customer service) at lower costs.