cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth throttling again

JustinJ41
Tuning in

Just at the beginning of the COVID pandemic I noticed a drop form our 500+ meg to around 250 and assumed this was something Virgin did as a lot of people were working at home. After 8 weeks I contacted Virgin support and they wanted to send an engineer. I explained this was not a problem at our end (it was throttled at Virgin Media) but they did anyway. 

At the entrance to our property he measure 290 meg, some way of the 550 we were used to seeing. He did not have an answer but said he had switched our port in the road and to 'see how it goes'. Around 2 weeks later, over night the speed went back up to the 500 to 500 we had previously. 

A week or so ago it dropped again to between 250 and 300 and has remained that way. OK, 300 is still plenty enough but I should receive what I pay for or have a rebate?

I would like to have this resolved one way or another. Don't say you are not throttling when you are, rebate where appropriate although I would prefer to have the speed I am paying for.

53 REPLIES 53

Paul, I wanted to post in this thread again for 2 reasons.

1) to thank you for helping me getting my speed back, and

2) mention what solved it for me in the hope that it helps someone else.

I started off by "wiggling" all the coaxial cables. That got me from 97 to 197. No idea why that should make a difference, they all felt firm and alright and I haven't moved anything for ages. Anyway, that helped. I then returned my Virgin Hub 3 into router mode. This was because I couldn't work out how to run a speed test in "modem mode" like Paul asked me to. I plugged in my network cable into the other ports, but I got no internet connectivity at all. (If anyone knows how to do it, please share, might help in the future!)

I have always had it in Modem Mode, because as we all know, the WiFi on the Hub 3 is a little, let's call it iffy. Setting it back to router mode took absolutely forever and about 3 restarts. But once that had completed I then plugged my laptop in via ethernet cable and suddenly I had the proper speeds in the tests.

It looks to me like maybe when we were upgraded the hub didn't do a proper update or something because it was in Modem Mode, but I don't actually know how these things work so it's just speculation.

I have not tried to putting my Hub 3 back into Modem Mode again so I am not sure what that will do. Instead I put my Router into AP mode and that seems to work just as well. I just miss some of the posher functionality on the other Router (but to be honest, that's getting quite old as well, so it doesn't have everything I wish I had anyway).

Thank you Paul, you managed to do what no one on the chat customer services managed to do. Wish I had managed to speak to you much much sooner!

Hi Daniel,

You are very welcome, if you have any further issues at all please post back here and either we or  a member of the community will be able to help.

Regards

Paul.

I wish i had my speeds resolved. I have upgraded to the 1gb service. The irony is now i am getting less than what i did when i was on 500mb. I always would get 560mbps. This so called speed throttle all started since the lockdown in march.

I use an ethernet connection using cat 6 on a brand new asus AX88U on a surface laptop 2. No other clients connected. The fastest speed i have to date is maxing out at 220mbps.

I have had an engineer visit my property only to fit an attenuator to decrease power levels on superhub 4.

It is so frustrating!

@Saeedkhan1 wrote:

... snip ...

If you want assistance please start your own thread.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.