cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360Mbps fastest

pietre252
Joining in

Fastest speed using Samknows is 360Mbps. Minimum is meant to be 500Mbps. Been trying for 4 days and no faster. This is speed to hub, so no variance due to any devices. Virgin reply was to raise issue with Ofcom for speed failure below minimum. How does that help get what I am billed for?

32 REPLIES 32

They're stringing you along.  There's no such thing as "an Ofcom report".  VM can of its own choice setup a speed monitor on your connection, but that has nothing to do with Ofcom.  If in doubt contact Ofcom and ask them how their monitoring of your connection is going.   

VM's own equipment shows via their installed SamKnows software that you're below the minimum guaranteed speed, but they're still staling rather than sending out a technician (which suggests it was a completely pointless exercise putting the SamKnows software on the hubs).

Give it a couple of days to see if they come back and get the matter sorted.  If by (say) Tuesday there's no progress, then instigate a formal complaint using the online form in My Virgin Media, invoking the minimum speed guarantee, and giving VM 30 days to sort it out, and ask for compensation for the slow speeds and poor support if you feel that appropriate.  You could alternatively ask for release from contract without penalty if they don't fix the speeds in 30 days, or to be reverted to your previous contract and speed.  

In terms of the minimum speed guarantee, if you need to get formal on the matter, this requires you to demonstrate at least one speed below the guaranteed minimum on three consecutive days.  Higher speeds and averages are not relevant, it is the minimum, and the three consecutive days that count.  You might want to screenshot and save some of the SamKnows results as evidence.

I have the screenshots, and when I spoke to them they could also see the speed tests. Thanks for the advice. I am in the 14 day cooling off period. The scam there is the days start on agreeing the contract and not when they provide equipment to use the system, so 14 days becomes 12 days. 
I am doing random tests through the day and saving the images. 

If you have any reservations and think cancelling/downgrading may be an option, it will be a lot easier to cancel the upgrade/new contract during the cooling off period.........

@pietre252 wrote:

I have the screenshots, and when I spoke to them they could also see the speed tests. Thanks for the advice. I am in the 14 day cooling off period. The scam there is the days start on agreeing the contract and not when they provide equipment to use the system, so 14 days becomes 12 days. 
I am doing random tests through the day and saving the images. 

NO, oh I’m sure that someone in customer services will argue otherwise, but legally the 14 days will start from when the service is available to you - and if you can’t get the service until the required equipment is installed and operational, then that is when the contact starts.

On my old package I had s £25 per month discount, which was removed on the new account. When it was mentioned I was informed no guarantee I would get the discount reinstated, and I would get billed for the router, even though mine was faulty and keeps losing the password. The result is I am. now stuck in deciding what to do. I would like to get what I am paying for. I have no issue as long as they advertise 500Mbps minimum and deliver what they say. 

Hi pietre252,

I have managed to locate you account and can see we have spoken to you recently, how are things now, have you been able to get this resolved?

Regards

Paul.

I spoke to a very unhelpful tech this morning who spoke to me like a child about wired and wireless connections. I pointed out I was chasing the speed to the hub from Virgin and not speed from any wired or wireless connections. After he continued by telling me the 370Mbps to the Virgin Hub was what I was paying for. I pointed out the guaranteed minimum to the hub of 500Mbps and asked for a supervisor. I also pointed out I have HNC Electronic Engineering so know how the hub should perform. And know it is connected correctly (not that it could be done any other way).Then he decided to check the account, and do speed checks which were around 300Mbps. I now have a Technician arriving Friday morning. 
All I want is the speeds and coverage I was promised and paying for. Will see what Friday brings. I have had to cancel my Webex calls for Friday which is a bonus 😎

Update from Engineer visit. I had a call asking if they could visit yesterday. Which was great. Poor engineer was under the impression it was an easy fix. He checked everything snd confirmed what I have said, that no speed change from previous package. The account was checked and am being billed for 1Gig service. Took my router to cabinet and no speed improvement. The outcome so far is I was sold a package that is not able to be supplied to my house. It has now been passed to Networks for them to sort. The cabinet has all the equipment to manage 1Gig, but there is no 1Gig output from cabinet!

• To say I am disappointed is an understatement. The time I have had to argue on phone for them to listen to me, is time I will nor recover. Also the fact I was charged for a connection to a service that is not there, and being billed for a service that is not able to be supplied is something that is also extremely disappointing. 

Hi @pietre252

Thanks for coming back to us. I am so sorry for the confusion here. Our system does show your area can have the 1Gig service. I've therefore reached out to the field team for you now. I'll be in touch when I know more.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

The cabinet has the hardware for supporting 1Gig but the Tech who came out Thursday said there was no 1Gig service to the cabinet. I have been changed to the M500 package and now have to pay £35 for the Hub4 as the whole reason for the contact was due my Hub3 having an issue with passwords. Thoroughly unimpressed as now having pay pay more yo get same as I had before. I was getting £25 discount on M350 package and speed is minute difference. I had no issue in paying for 1Gig as long as I received it. 
The fact I have had to waste so much time and getting fobbed off each time. The last call on Friday said Networks would visit within 24/48 hours. No one has been near the cabinet. I am now looking into Sky offerings ss feeling like been left dangling for cooling period to lapse.