cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360Mbps fastest

pietre252
Joining in

Fastest speed using Samknows is 360Mbps. Minimum is meant to be 500Mbps. Been trying for 4 days and no faster. This is speed to hub, so no variance due to any devices. Virgin reply was to raise issue with Ofcom for speed failure below minimum. How does that help get what I am billed for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

They're stringing you along.  There's no such thing as "an Ofcom report".  VM can of its own choice setup a speed monitor on your connection, but that has nothing to do with Ofcom.  If in doubt contact Ofcom and ask them how their monitoring of your connection is going.   

VM's own equipment shows via their installed SamKnows software that you're below the minimum guaranteed speed, but they're still staling rather than sending out a technician (which suggests it was a completely pointless exercise putting the SamKnows software on the hubs).

Give it a couple of days to see if they come back and get the matter sorted.  If by (say) Tuesday there's no progress, then instigate a formal complaint using the online form in My Virgin Media, invoking the minimum speed guarantee, and giving VM 30 days to sort it out, and ask for compensation for the slow speeds and poor support if you feel that appropriate.  You could alternatively ask for release from contract without penalty if they don't fix the speeds in 30 days, or to be reverted to your previous contract and speed.  

In terms of the minimum speed guarantee, if you need to get formal on the matter, this requires you to demonstrate at least one speed below the guaranteed minimum on three consecutive days.  Higher speeds and averages are not relevant, it is the minimum, and the three consecutive days that count.  You might want to screenshot and save some of the SamKnows results as evidence.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

32 REPLIES 32

Shroko
Superfast

That's interesting, I thought only customers with Gig1 connections got super hub 4's.

I am paying for Gig1 but can only get 360Mbps even though contract is 500Mbps guaranteed minimum! All I want is what I am paying for!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you recently upgrade from a 350 to a 500 package?

Can you test speeds this way....

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode”
(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets and then we can see what to suggest next

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Upgraded from 500Mbps to Gig1 package hence unhappy at only getting less than 500! I am now informed my 14 day cooling off period started when the contract started on 16th but kit arrived on 18th. I called in Friday last week to be informed the setup was not done correctly and was sorted. I was to allow 24 hours and all sorted. After 50 hours when I returned home still less than 360. Called again and basically they have no idea!

How are you testing, wired, wireless?

Testing is done wireless. That makes no difference as the input to the router which is wired is meant to be between 500 and 1100 Mbps, and I am as of 7am today getting 340 Mbps.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@pietre252 wrote:

Testing is done wireless. That makes no difference as the input to the router which is wired is meant to be between 500 and 1100 Mbps, and I am as of 7am today getting 340 Mbps.

There's a lot that can interfere with wireless speeds, you need to do a wired test

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am confused. My issue is the speed yo the router provided by Virgin. Using Samknows as advised by Virgin the speed to the hub is below the minimum for 1Gig contract. Minimum is 500Mbps and max reported by Samknows test is 374Mbps. I am not complaining about speeds to devices, but the speed to the hub which is far below the guaranteed minimum speed. 

Spoken again to Virgin and their speed test came up with 304 Mbps which in their words is below standard. They have raised an Ofcom report which will get speeds monitored and will get tech onsite if required, as they have no idea what issue is.