cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mbps instead of 200mbps

brassmonkey001
Tuning in

My connection keeps dropping to around 2mbps but I am paying for 200mbps. Why am I not getting the service I am paying for? 

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Two things...

1) Try the “check service,”Area status webpage" (link at top right of this forum)

2) Then also try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061 - which usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to street cab/ postcode level.
Then, are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

What Hub model is it? What are the various Hub lights showing/doing when this happens if a Hub3 is the base light a steady white(ish) or flashing green?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello brassmonkey001

Sorry to hear of the broadband connection issues, we appreciate you raising this via the forums.

Are you testing the speeds over a wired or wireless connection? We have checked and the connection and equipment levels are in the specs and ranges we'd expect them to be. We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

When running a speed test we would always recommend running this via a wired connection This can be completed using an ethernet cable via a PC or laptop and will allow us to see the speeds available at the Hub.

We do have the Connect App https://virg.in/connectapp that will allow you to scan your property to optimise the wireless network and if needed order pod's. Depending on your package these may be free but any package is eligible for these if needed.

Rob

Hi Rob, I've been having issues all week. My connection keeps dropping several times a day which is making things very difficult for us as we both do a lot of working from home.

I've only done speed tests via wireless so far and when I created this post I was getting only 2 mbps. I have tested several times since and got speeds of up to 100 mbps, so decent speeds are attainable, but a stable connection is also important, and I'm not getting that at the moment. 

Speeds are never consistent on WiFi. What speeds do you get with an ethernet connection? 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hey brassmonkey001, thank you for letting me know this I understand this can be frustrating and I am sorry about that.

I have taken another look at our side and everything is looking fine with the connection,the levels are really good.

Please can we try this with a cable connection if possible and then let me know how the stable the connection is? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?