cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gig upgrade with no speed increase (actually slightly slower than 600mbs)

BillHopkinson
Tuning in

Engineer yesterday confirmed Hub is getting 1gig. I've two PCs connected via ethernet cables (cables are 1gig compatible) and still getting speeds of around 400mbs, which to be honest is slightly worse.

Also Sam Knows Speed Test is unreachable. (see pic)

BillHopkinson_0-1636796945455.png

11 REPLIES 11

Thanks for your reply. I ran the test simultaneously and got slightly better results.

Still can't access Sam Knows. Disappointed that Virgin can't / won't help further as the router is getting full speed. I've replaced both ethernet cables, and updated the drivers to the network cards (which are definitely 1gig).

BillHopkinson_0-1638099742567.png

@BillHopkinson wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I ran the test simultaneously and got slightly better results.

Still can't access Sam Knows. Disappointed that Virgin can't / won't help further as the router is getting full speed. I've replaced both ethernet cables, and updated the drivers to the network cards (which are definitely 1gig).

BillHopkinson_0-1638099742567.png

So just to confirm if you run a test on both PCs, at exactly the same time, you get 360Mbps (Or more?) on both?

If they both get 360Mbps at the same time that means you have at least 720Mbps.

This means the issue is somewhere else, rather than your internet connection.

Personally I find most speed test sites to be inconsistent.

Of all of them I find fast.com to be pretty good (I have to set the max 'Parallel Connections' to 30, under 'More Info' / 'Settings', to get the best results):