cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gig upgrade with no speed increase (actually slightly slower than 600mbs)

BillHopkinson
Tuning in

Engineer yesterday confirmed Hub is getting 1gig. I've two PCs connected via ethernet cables (cables are 1gig compatible) and still getting speeds of around 400mbs, which to be honest is slightly worse.

Also Sam Knows Speed Test is unreachable. (see pic)

BillHopkinson_0-1636796945455.png

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Test again like this

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, directly to the Hub which you have put into “modem mode” (https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ). This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @BillHopkinson,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting.

I am sorry to see you are having issues with your speeds.

Please can you let me know if you still need help with this?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Yes, I'm still having the same issues.

Sam knows speed test won't connect to hub 4 (in router or modem mode)

Tests via ookla show a download speed of around 360mbs, upload of around 50mbs.

Its fast enough for daily use but I'm paying £78 a month for speeds I could get much cheaper.

I've new ethernet cables supplied by the virgin engineer.

I've two PCs, a smartthings hub, and a mesh system connected to the hub 4s ethernet ports. 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi BillHopkinson, thanks for keeping us posted - sorry to hear this is ongoing.

I've taken a look using your forum info, and can see there may be some issues with the downstream power levels that could be responsible for the lacklustre speeds. 

This will likely require the attention of an engineer so everything can be checked over & corrected - please get back to me via PM (the purple envelope icon) and we'll get that arranged for you.

Tom 

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @BillHopkinson. I've arranged an engineer visit, you will find confirmation of the booking via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can reschedule from there if needed. 

Please keep us updated with how you get on, or let us know if there's anything else we can help with. 

Tom 

Engineer swapped out hub 4. He confirms it is now getting full speed, but for some reason the speed to my devices is still slow. Since Virgin only guarantee speeds to the hub, he said that is all he can do. 

I have two PCs wired to the hub, one for general use and one used as a Plex server. Both are have gigabit network cards and new ethernet cables. Both are getting download speeds of around 360 mbs, upload speeds around 50.

I can now intermittently connect to the Sam Knows speed test, but it crashes before measuring speed to computer.

Can the age of my computers be a factor?

@BillHopkinson wrote:

Engineer swapped out hub 4. He confirms it is now getting full speed, but for some reason the speed to my devices is still slow. Since Virgin only guarantee speeds to the hub, he said that is all he can do. 

I have two PCs wired to the hub, one for general use and one used as a Plex server. Both are have gigabit network cards and new ethernet cables. Both are getting download speeds of around 360 mbs, upload speeds around 50.

I can now intermittently connect to the Sam Knows speed test, but it crashes before measuring speed to computer.

Can the age of my computers be a factor?

When you action a speed test it can write the data downloaded to your local hard drive:

Depending on the age of your devices you could be limited by the hardware you use.

It's worth checking task manager when trying a speed test to see if this is the case.

You could also do a speed test on both devices at exactly the same time to see if they both get 360Mbps.

Task manager speed never got above 420mbs. I was getting 500 plus before I "upgraded"

BillHopkinson_0-1638025320621.png

@BillHopkinson wrote:

Task manager speed never got above 420mbs. I was getting 500 plus before I "upgraded"

BillHopkinson_0-1638025320621.png

What % disk usage does it state?

What speeds do you get if you try both PCs at the same time?

Could you try this one:

https://www.nperf.com/en/