cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weak Security with Superhub3

McGruff
On our wavelength

In my iPad settings, my broadband signals from my Superhub 3, both the 2 and the 5, are indicated to be. "Weak Security".  What should I do about that, and how should I do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5

McGruff
On our wavelength

I tred that, but When I clicked on Security, I couldn't  see any option for adjusting security settings, or even for making the hub use my 5Ghz network wavelength rather than the 2.4Ghz. (When I select the 5Ghz onmy ipad, pretty soon it clicks back to2Ghz, and the ipad slows down.)

My ipad is runnig, not iOS 15.3.2, not iOS 14, which is what that note I was lined was concerned with. I don'tknow if that could have something to do with it.

Anyway, @I,ll have another look at the link, and see if I missed anything.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Don't have the Hub 3 myself to post screenshots but you access the 'WiFi Configuration' screen (7th image down at this link below)

https://setuprouter.com/router/virgin-media/hub-3-0/screenshots.htm

in the section titled 'Virgin Media wifi setup' and change the 'Security' drop down to WPA2-PSK for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz

If you are using the same SSID/wireless name for both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequencies, your iPad will, most-likely, just connect to the strongest signal which will probably be 2.4GHz. Don't have any Apple kit myself to know if you can set the iPad to 'prefer' 5GHz when connecting.

Alternatively you can give each of the frequency bands (2.4 and 5 GHz) its own network name e.g. VM12345-2 and VM12345-5 (same screen in the 'WiFi Network Name (SSID' drop down) and set the iPad to the one you prefer BUT you will need to reconfigure all your wireless devices to connect to those new network names. You will probably find that the 5GHz band gives you the best connection speed but propagates less well through the home. The 2.4 GHz signal will probably be stronger throughout the home but give a slower connection.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Kit will always connect to the strongest signal rather than the fastest connection. I have 3 iPads running in the household. Splitting WiFi bands as suggested above & then locking them to 5Ghz triples my download speeds.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

McGruff
On our wavelength

Thanks. Very helpful.

I had another look at the site, and have been able to sort out tge 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz confusion. I've put in 5Ghz as the one to use - and I've removed tge 2.4Ghz from the WiFi list on ipad  settings. If I decide to use the two networks for different ipadsI can do that, but at present that,s not worth it.

I still haven't been able to adjust my security setting, but I gather that my Superhub3 automatically usestge better option, and that the  warning about "weak security" canbe ignored.

One other thing I found was that the WPS facility had not been activated. So that's presumably why I had problems with getting my printer to marry up to my Home Network - I think that's an own goal by Virgin, for not telling its custimers that needs to be die.

So for now t seems I'm sorted. Thanks again.

McGruff