Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 41 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media is holding an anniversary celebration

This is indeed criminal activity, as the purpose of the phishing is to steal money from your credit card.

Undoubtedly a number of people have fallen for it otherwise it wouldn't be worth the scammers time writing the code.

In time the owner of the legitimate webpage which has been hacked will take down the rogue code.

However, that doesn't really solve the problem as the scammer will simply switch to another web page to hack.

The scammer could be operating from anywhere in the world, and certainly well beyond the reach of the British criminal justice system.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 42 of 55
Flag for a moderator

With this particular phishing message you will notice it doesn't contain any personal information related to your VM account.

It doesn't mention your name, or your VM account number.

That's because the scammer doesn't know it.

All the scammer knows is your IP address and that's because they've created a pop up so you are accessing their web page in your browser and that in itself allows them to see your IP Address.

IP addresses related to ISPs are public information so they can easily link your IP address to VM. If you had been with BT you'd have seen the same page but with congratulations from BT.

Simples......... 

Also this particular scammer isn't interested in planting malware on your computer all their interested in is persuading you to give them your credit card details.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 43 of 55
Flag for a moderator

This message seems to come up after a visit the daily mail or mail on sunday websites
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 44 of 55
Flag for a moderator

@autum1 wrote:
This message seems to come up after a visit the daily mail or mail on sunday websites

And you are surprised by that! Oh dear.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 45 of 55
Flag for a moderator

maybe a bad ad on one of the ad networks they are wiring

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 46 of 55
Flag for a moderator

Done a full scan everything seems to be alright. Will not be clicking on any links with the dailymail website as this seems to trigger the scam.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Trouble shooter
Message 47 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I must admit the site is full of adverts and even just scrolling can set of a video or a link, especially if you are clicking on a genuine link and the page jumps

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 48 of 55
Flag for a moderator

This is an extract from a BBC News article from 3 years ago which explains how the scam is set up.  It relates to a computer infected ransonware type scam, but the principle is the same for the anniversary survey pop up.

• Big ad networks allow users to win ad space on websites by bidding at a particular price
  • Criminals are taking advantage of this to place adverts which are infected with a single "bad" pixel
  • This pixel can redirect users and infect them in the background when they are browsing on a perfectly legitimate site - they do not even need to click on the ad
  • The malware in the ad redirects users to a website in the background - invisible to the user - which checks their computer and discovers their IP address
  • From the IP address it is easy to find out which ISP owns which IP address
  • Victims will be served a pop-up tailored for their specific ISP which warns them their computer is infected and gives them a number to call
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 49 of 55
Flag for a moderator

When it happened to me I revisited the Web pages I'd visited recently one by one to see if any of those triggered the problem.  Eventually I determined that visiting nanoresort-dot-com had caused the issue.  I'd originally visited it from a Facebook link and no errors were reported at the time but the company launched a number of advertising campaigns on the same day, so no coincidence perhaps.  I hadn't visited the Daily Mail Web site at any point.  I reported the suspect Facebook page to Facebook and it was taken down the following day, so that would indicate to me that they'd found something dodgy with it.

Incidentally Nano Resort's Facebook page which is two years old, is still up, and appears to be genuine.

0 Kudos
Super solver
Message 50 of 55
Flag for a moderator

I've posted this elsewhere, but it's pertinent here.  

Think about it for one second.  VM are gonna give yas a free £1000+ phone for nothing, just for answering a few questions?  Would you believe it if the offer was a free trillion Yb speed upgrade?

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos