Menu
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 31 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media is holding an anniversary celebration

@Rula wrote:

First I've heard of a data breach!  If telephone numbers were involved, this might explain a call I received apparently from 01569-685884 claiming to be Virgin Media and warning me that the Internet was due to go down the following day.  They asked for personal information but hung p when challenged.

Likely reason being that your data was not exposed. BTW “data breach” implies the data was protected, it was not!; read Turgensec's report here Virgin Media Disclosure Statement

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 32 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Have I won or not iphone11 scam see below.

29F85A83-E379-475C-871D-75E8BBB8F6DD.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 33 of 50
Flag for a moderator

You’ve won an iPhone11 pop up scam?

89D0DD44-9E9E-4302-AA3F-E2911D1DE0EA.jpeg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 34 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Re: You’ve won an iPhone11 pop up scam?

Yes it's a scam

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/quot-You-ve-won-an-iPhone11-quot-message-from-...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 35 of 50
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there,

We've raised this matter with our Internet Security team who have confirmed this is a phishing attempt which has been reported to the relevant  authorities to help avoid it happening in the future.

We would recommend users clear their browser data, cookies and cache; as well as running anti virus software where possible.

Best,

Michael_JK
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Highlighted
Super solver
Message 36 of 50
Flag for a moderator

@Rula wrote:

First I've heard of a data breach!  If telephone numbers were involved, this might explain a call I received apparently from 01569-685884 claiming to be Virgin Media and warning me that the Internet was due to go down the following day.  They asked for personal information but hung p when challenged.

Stonehaven, near Aberdeen. You'd think they'd pick better numbers, but they don't.  Sometimes they give themselves away immediately by using too many digits for city area codes outside London and Coventry.  Expect more calls. 😕

https://www.area-codes.org.uk/01569.php 

As for the registry thing mentioned elsewhere: sometimes you need to do some detective work, as things aren't always what they seem... removing malware/urls manually can take some time.  A friend had some fake anti-virus ransomware that took 3-4 hours to remove whereas a dodgy Taiwanese search engine (isearch) hijacked my brother's laptop, bombarding him with (legit) adverts took 2 1/2 hours to remove. They had removal instructions on their website that didn't work.  There was also a fake Norton popup on my sister's laptop yesterday which was removed quite quickly, the landing page was reported to Google as a fake website.

Revo Uninstaller is a good program for getting rid of malware, which was used on my brother's laptop to get rid of dodgy stuff.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 37 of 50
Flag for a moderator

I have the same virgin media survey, x out every time, but keeps coming back. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 38 of 50
Flag for a moderator

nothing to do with VM its a scam. you will have malware on your computer.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 39 of 50
Flag for a moderator

If you look at the community this has been mentioned a number of times over the last few months.

It is nothing to do with Virgin Media as you will see exactly the same discussions using other ISP's such as BT.

It is a phishing scam that is triggered  when accessing a particular website.

If you are brave, or foolish, enough to follow it through the end screen will ask you for your card details to pay £1 for the iphone you've won, with of course everyone being a winner.

I had a cyber security professional look at it and he assures me it is not related to malware on the device but is a rogue link embedded in a corrupted pixel within the website that you were in when it was triggered.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 40 of 50
Flag for a moderator

Seems to me this is criminal activity. Can we not raise this up to get some hardened crime fighters to bring down this organization? These parasites are making peoples lives a misery. They also operate https://eu.attractionsflorida.xyz/ so if you see this in your browser report and block with extreme prejudice.

chill... i'm on your wavelength
0 Kudos