cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM email hacked

Faysfriend
Tuning in

Hi,

I have recently found that my @virginmedia.com email address has been taken by someone who now controls it.  I have tried to log in but the passwords have changed and though I now have new email addresses I would still like to regain control or delete my old email as it contains lots of personal and business emails.

Any help would be gratefully received, FF. 

4 REPLIES 4

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Have you tried resetting the password via this link Forgotten your Password? | Reset Here | Virgin Media?

Is the email account linked to an active Virgin Media broadband account or has it been less than 90 days since it was terminated?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hello.

Thank you for your prompt reply, to be more detailed;

My @virginmedia.com email account has been taken over, the password changed and is being used to set up new accounts, (such as Linkedin profiles in my name) as well as to take over some existing accounts such as my daughters EA games profile. My partner and I managed to regain control of Facebook, Instagram and Spotify, which were all set up using my @virginmedia.com email and the same password, (don't judge) and locked down everything else these details were used for.

We have changed all credentials, have two factor authentication as well as trusted devices where possible and we always run decent AV and VPN software.

We still have a VM account for Broadband and TV which was, until this happened, set up using my @virginmedia.com email but now I have removed this email from my account in both log in and contacts. I have previously tried the "forgotten password" route but to no avail and as I have now changed my VM account credentials, this route is no longer available.

I wish to regain control of my @virginmedia.com email account so that;

1. I may still receive messages from contacts who don't know my new email addresses.
  2. Show the scum who took it and wasted hours of my family's time, that I can beat them at their own game.
  3. But if failing to regain control, I wish that the account can be closed/locked out so that it cannot be used by them for further mischief.

The website haveibeenpwned.com shows that my data was compromised several times, long ago but this is the first time that I am aware of being targeted.

image.png

I can prove that I am the rightful owner of my @virginmedia.com email account, to the appropriate person if need be.

Regards,

FF.

This is the email that I received;

Let's settle it this way:

You transfer $400 USD to me (in bitcoin equivalent according to the exchange rate at the moment of funds transfer), and once the transfer is received, I will delete all this dirty stuff right away.

After that we will forget about each other. I also promise to deactivate and delete all the harmful software from your devices. Trust me, I keep my word.

This is a fair deal and the price is quite low, considering that I have been checking out your profile and traffic for some time by now.

In case, if you don't know how to purchase and transfer the bitcoins - you can use any modern search engine.

Here is my bitcoin wallet: bc1qcgp5enr2chmu00f20ucv02jcvhux0vkgjvmaa9

Things you need to avoid from doing:

*Do not reply me (I have created this email inside your inbox and generated the return address).

*Do not try to contact police and other security services. In addition, forget about telling this to you friends. If I discover that (as you can see, it is really not so hard, considering that I control all your systems) - your video will be shared to public right away.

*Don't try to find me - it is absolutely pointless. All the cryptocurrency transactions are anonymous.

*Don't try to reinstall the OS on your devices or throw them away. It is pointless as well, since all the videos have already been saved at remote servers.

Things you don't need to worry about:

*That I won't be able to receive your funds transfer.

- Don't worry, I will see it right away, once you complete the transfer, since I continuously track all your activities (my trojan virus has got a remote-control feature, something like TeamViewer).

*That I will share your videos anyway after you complete the funds transfer.

- Trust me, I have no point to continue creating troubles in your life. If I really wanted that, I would do it long time ago!

Everything will be done in a fair manner!

One more thing... Don't get caught in similar kind of situations anymore in future!

My advice - keep changing all your passwords on a frequent basis

If anyone knows how to reverse money out of a bitcoin account, I think his is fair game........ 😉

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Faysfriend, 

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear you have been experiencing issues with your email account, we will be able to help. 

We have come across the email you have posted previously as it seems a fairly generic message. 

I am going to take a few details via private message and we can help get your account secure again. 

Please check the purple envelope on the top right of this page for a message from me. 

Thanks, 

Nat