Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Super hub with NEST Products for security - not compatible

In upgrading to 350MB and migrating from a 2ac router to a superhub 3 router I constantly get notifications of loss of service from my out door nest cameras.  I've contacted google (who own NEST) regarding this, and after a resets, camera changes etc. the problem is definitely with Superhub 3 and my service.  It is terrible.  I pay for 350MB and get 120MB at best.  I plan to use wireshark to produce logs to prove this and create a page publish my results.  I wish I could go back to my 2AC router - that's all I really really want.

If you need an ISP package for security cameras, Virgin Media broadband is not suitable in my opinion.

This is aside to having a data bleed where I can login to someone else's account  using my old credentials I also receive a summary of their bill by email (like every month) - this is all on a separate complaint where I've sent full screen shots - but I think VM CS are closing the complaint...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Super hub with NEST Products for security - not compatible

Regarding the first part of your post, it doesn't surprise me that the Hub 3 lacks the ability to provide good wireless coverage to devices external to the home. You might want to consider the option of buying a third party router and putting the Hub 3 into modem mode, another option would be disabling the Hub 3s wifi and buying an access point. But at the consumer price points the router is the most viable option.
VMs broadband is perfectly suitable for security cameras, your issue is with the Hub 3 which is not the broadband.

Regarding the last part of your post, if this is true and VM are not taking action you may want to file a case with the ICO as this is a breach of data protection and needs to be corrected.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi ravtek,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear this. 

Is the speed you're getting on just a Wireless connection or also a Wired? Have you tried out our Virgin Media Connect App and the built in WiFi Black Spot checker? 

With your second point do you have the complaint reference number for the raised complaint? What has been advised to yourself already from the agents?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just to clarify my setup is the same as prior to installing the SH3. I’m using a gryphon router which I had for the past 3 years and use the supplied SH3 modem in router mode. The change to my infrastructure was a swap of the 2ac to the SH3 (also configured in router mode) on change of my package from 200MBPS to 350MBPS.

After experiencing the Nest cam drop outs and contacting their support I was advised to try a extender, which I configured on the same SSID with the same failure results.  Hence my conclusion that the SH3 is misbehaving for the past 5 months. 

I wonder if it is possible to downgrade and reuse an old 2AC I can get of.  I only upgraded because if was cheaper when VM do the “double the price of your package” thing at the end of the minimum term when the “discounts” are removed.

Perhaps the 2AC can handle a 350MBPS service as it was an option in the software via the advanced configuration pages. I actually wouldn’t mind paying my current price and going back to the 200MBPS or even 100MBPS as long I don’t have cut outs  the nest cam requires 300GB upload per month for 1080p per camera.  I’ve even tried knocking the setting down to 720p nearer to 150GB upload per month. No changes. It simply is the cut out problem that is mentioned on numerous forums. Please let me use a 2AC!  

Also forgot to mention VM totally ignored my instructions to transfer the landline number numerous times. My children’s school, doctors and several other all have this as a contact.  Totally baffled.  Even when we call it doesn’t make sense of the promises vs. Service. 

Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravtek,

Our apologies but we no longer provide the Super hub 2ac, we have discontinued these apart from the ones existing customer still have so we would not be able to fit this as a solution. We appreciate this can be frustrating but we will try to resolve this to our best standards. There are a few things we do need to find out in order to do this.

Are the nest cameras the only devices that you are having this dropouts with or are multiple types of devices in the household also experiencing this?

Have you been able to test the strength of your wired connection to see if this is lower than it should be or running at optimum level?

Have you been able to try out the connect app to see if you have any void area's/black spots which could potentially be causing range issues to the camera's?

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I couldn't agree more with your comments on broadband speed and NEST connectivity.

I am currently setting up my NEST products (or trying) for the third time in 12 months due to issues with the Virgin router. Over the years I have consistently experienced camera drop outs and have also tried dropping the quality of recordings etc.

There are days when the speed I achieve is below 20mb, the most I have ever seen is 120mb. The advertised 350mb is nothing short of a joke - they should not be allowed to advertise as this.

On top of this the customer service has been getting worse and worse over the last few years and is now absolutely terrible, the people on the other end of the phone are of absolutely no help. Every phone call is an hour (30 minutes before answer) and the same script read out over and over again.

Contract runs out next month and sorry to say after 14 years it looks like time to move on.

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi SparkyR, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Sorry you've been having some issues with the speed, it's not what we like to hear. 

Are the speeds you're getting via WiFi or Ethernet? 

What have our team been advising when you've rang?

Are you using our Virgin Media connect app? 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Apologies for the delayed reply. 

I managed to use my old 2ac modem and downgrade my package. Raised official complaint.  VM also had some database bleed as I could see another users account when I logged in up to the point of address, personal details, bank details and I could even upgrade someone else’s package.  VM ignored for months. Then gave back my old landline number, when the data breech problem was fixed as the same time. 

Now getting 160mbps for 60% of the time of my 200MBPS package. The other 40 % is poor.  5G around the corner!😜

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Dear All,

Like yourselves, I too had an issue with the Virgin 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks via their Superhub3.

THERE IS A SOLUTION!!  WHY DON'T THEY TELL YOU AND MAKE LIFE EASY I HEAR YOU SAY!!

I found the following solution within this community group so am reposting somebody else's wise words although I have edited them to explain the steps and benefits and am not claiming the magic for myself, but here they work so here goes.  Follow these tasks step by step;

1. Go into the Hub3 settings by typing in http://192.168.0.1 to your web browser’s url box and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it).

2. Then in Advanced>wireless>signal DISABLE "channel optimisation" – click apply changes.

3. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, RENAME the (2.4 &) 5 GHz network ssid. Just change them to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like.  For ease and so as to not have to go back in to the setup of your NEST/RING security devices, I'd recommend only renaming the 5Ghz SSID (up to you though) which will make it a separate network and easily identifiable. So in other words, the 2.4Ghz network will remain entirely unaffected but will now work as intended by your security device without any alteration to those device settings.  For your laptops, phones, etc, you will have to change wifi networks if you want to connect to the 5Ghz network once you've completed all of these steps, but that's no big deal.

4. Then, APPLY settings and restart the Hub.

Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

Good luck everyone and I hope that the above helps you to relax and get over the trauma of Virgin Broadband 😃

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that reply - I was using my 2AC in modem mode and use a Gryphon Router, which I have been using for the past 4 years as it has excellent profiling and parental controls.  So the problem was at the ISP (Virgin media's end) for me. Since upgrading to the Ring Pro doorbell I might consider upgrading again - but I'm happy just having a service that works rather than one that drops and is fast, the 200MPS package works ok.  Since downgrading to the 2AC things have been just fine, I have always use VM Kit in modem mode for as long as I can remember.  Thanks for posting, I'm glad you've found a solution which is worth sharing considering how busy the airwaves are.  I get a nice graph of the bands and SSIDs using the killer wifi app supplied by DELL.