cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam call and AnyDesk Remote Desktop

Besnik1978
Joining in

Hi everyone 

Received call from 020 8569 xxxx pretending to be Virgin Media . First they asked me to check router signal and then check this and check that , after that they asked me to download an App called AnyDesk Remote Desktop which I did because I’m not very good on computers . Soon as I downloaded they start asking me for my bank accounts etc . Thanks god my son stopped me to give any further details because he knew that is isn’t Virgin Media . Before I put phone down on them the guy was kind enough to call me MF . I deleted the app and reset the router.I tried to call Virgin Media fraud department but it’s so impossible. Please tell me do I have to do anything else or will be fine?  

[MOD EDIT: number edited in case it's an innocent number being spoofed and post split from old thread]

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Did you actually allow the scammers remote access to take control of your computer or simply download the software without running it?

Did you provide them with any other personal/security information during the call?

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Besnik1978, thank you for posting to make us aware of this. So sorry to hear that this happened!

We would never take remote access of any of your equipment, or ask for your banking information unless setting up an account or direct debit for you. We have a policy on how to deal with fraudulent calls here: https://virg.in/fraudcalls. 

We always recommend you get in touch with your local police department to record these kinds of calls so they can investigate and prevent them from happening to others. I would also recommend getting in touch with your Bank if you have any concerns at all your account has been compromised. 

For extra security it may also be a good idea to run anti-virus scans on all of your devices, and reset the passwords on your accounts. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns and we will do our best to help! 

All the best. 

Molly

I HAD THE SAME SCAM TELLING ME ABOUT MY ROUTER BEING USED BY SOMEONE ELSE AND EXPOSING ALL OF MY DATA AND NBANK DETAILS ETC: - I SUSPECTED THE CALL EVENTUALLY,  BUT I  AM STILL WORRIED THAT I ALLOWED THE GUY TO TAKE OVER MY PHONE REMOTELY TO GRAB  A FEW DETAILS FROM ME TODAY. - I ONLY STOPPED WHEN HE GOT TO A PAGE THAT PURPORTED TO BE A VIRGIN MEDIA LOGO!!??  IT WASN'T OFCOURSE, SO ONLY WHEN HE COULDN'T PROVIDE A PROPER ONE, DID I CLOSE DOWN THE CALL. HE DIDN'T GET TO ASK ME ABOUT MY BANK DETAILS  ETC;  BUT I WORRY THAT HE COULD NOW HACK INTO MY ACCOUNT AT ANY TIME NOW REGARDLESS!?

If some one called and said your car unsafe go and fiddle with the brakes you would smell a rat in 1 second.

What is it with folks and their computers & their banking that they do not take the same approach.

If you are not expecting a support technical call or the bank to call of course it is a scammer !

If you allowed them remote access then you have to assume your pc is compromised as well as all your details.
You will need to contact your bank who will cancel all your cards & send you new ones.
You should also change all your passwords & ensure 2 factor authentication is turned on for all accounts which offer this feature.

You should also scan the pc with Malwarebytes & adwCleaner.
Did you uninstall the remote access software? If not then you need to also do this. 

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia