cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call

ewhitey
Superfast

Received two calls from 014******* earlier today.

First call was barely understandable with broken english asking me to log onto my PC as I have had sever internet issues recently. When I asked too many questions he hung up.

Shortly after I received the second call from a female with slightly better english apologising to me for being cut off. She added she was from VM stating this was a free router check because of the issues we've been having. I asked several times for her to provide my account number which she couldn't as she didn't have access to it. She did however ask me to verify my unique security licence number. Intrigued I said yeah go for it.

Again I was asked to go to PC and find the CTRL button, Once I said I had it she asked what button was next to that - I replied the Windows button. She then asked me to press the Windows button and "R" together. I asked why and she she I was to do what I was told as it was very important. I asked a few other questions without response and she got annoyed and hung lol

Hope this helps someone 😉 

[MOD EDIT: Number removed]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not make these type of calls.

If you get any call, especially if they are asking you to do things on a device, just hang up. Entering into further conversations only invites further nuisance calls as scam operations will circulate “responsive” numbers amongst themselves in a bid to outwit people.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not make these type of calls.

If you get any call, especially if they are asking you to do things on a device, just hang up. Entering into further conversations only invites further nuisance calls as scam operations will circulate “responsive” numbers amongst themselves in a bid to outwit people.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

davidwogg
On our wavelength

In the last 2 days we have had 4 telephone calls claiming to be from Virgin media with 0208888 commencing numbers and the last one ended in 4557

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@davidwogg wrote:

In the last 2 days we have had 4 telephone calls claiming to be from Virgin media with 0208888 commencing numbers and the last one ended in 4557

The numbers that come up on caller display bear no relation to who is calling you. The callers are based in illegal call centres in India, & use commercially available software that will insert a number of their choosing. The number is either disused, or a clone of a genuine UK number used by a business or residential customer that has nothing to do with the scam. Hence the mods here remove any numbers that are posted to protect innocent parties.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

One think to be aware of is that they could even put out on the caller ID a genuine VM number.

NEVER EVER RELY ON CALLER ID.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2