Menu
Highlighted
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 21 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scam call supposedly from BT technical department.

Problem with these scammers is that they think they're scamming old people, the vulnerable and in some cases the dying (the worst part of it being that they don't care).  However, it's Millennials that are the most likely to be scammed statistically speaking.Smiley Indifferent  Most scams I hear about come from my mother's Church group; the most recent being the VISA scam.

Some of these videos are really funny as "Granny" fights back.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 22 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Millennials have IOT and social media profiles. And they usually assume they "are savvy" and have a subscription to Mcafee, therefore immune. "Other people"  get targeted they think ... Easy targets. The older generation tend to make less assumptions and ask more questions.

Most attacks these days are phishing or similair- brute force is too expensive unless you own a server farm subsidised by the Chinese government...Silver Surfers aren't expecting to get contacted by random people, so if they are they tend to be cautious.

Millennials are expecting friend requests etc so are less so...

Social engineering at its finest. All we need is some FitBit malware, take the whole demographic out....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 23 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Got another one this morning; this time it was a robot English voice that sounded fairly realistic.  They must be making enough money to buy better call automation.  IMO it won't be long before they get deepfakes, although my guess is that they already are or have been for a couple of years.

The random number used was 01347 343 542, which must be a right pain for those who have to change their number.  There's gonna be problems down the line, as posts like these may unwittingly doxx legit users; although I wouldn't think anyone would call back.  As I've said before, the internet has evolved into something it really wasn't meant to be, making it no longer fit for purpose.

Press 1 to talk to someone, or press 2 get disconnected for no apparent reason. "C'est la vie" say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell. IME the old folks are the most savvy of any tech users, spotting scams as they go (particularly with phone based outfits).

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 24 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep wrote:

Got another one this morning; this time it was a robot English voice that sounded fairly realistic.  They must be making enough money to buy better call automation.  IMO it won't be long before they get deepfakes, although my guess is that they already are or have been for a couple of years.

The random number used was 01347 343 542, which must be a right pain for those who have to change their number.  There's gonna be problems down the line, as posts like these may unwittingly doxx legit users; although I wouldn't think anyone would call back.  As I've said before, the internet has evolved into something it really wasn't meant to be, making it no longer fit for purpose.

Press 1 to talk to someone, or press 2 get disconnected for no apparent reason. "C'est la vie" say the old folks, it goes to show you never can tell. IME the old folks are the most savvy of any tech users, spotting scams as they go (particularly with phone based outfits).

The cunning in this is pressing 2 just does the same as pressing 1 where you’re connected to a ‘technician’ who then tries to convince you of the problem with your internet.
There’s also newer calls where there’s only one choice - to speak to an ‘advisor’.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TheBluesBrother
Superfast
Message 25 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Yesterday I had another two caller scams, the first was the BT and the latter was the Visa one, somebody is trying to make a £600 purchase.

How can I put this, every time my landline home telephone rings it is a scam, two telephone calls today, the first I didn't bother answering and the second an Asian voice I didn't even bother listening. 

Anybody who purchases a contract for a Virgin Media landline must have mental health issues, you only end up being scammed to death, I have never had a scam call on my mobile.

0 Kudos