cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam call claiming to be Virgin Media

PeterL2810
Joining in

Just had a call fom an indian call centre claiming to be Virgin Media.

After usual pleasantries they told me that my broadband router had been hacked and was being used by 3 unauthorised users and that not only were they slowing down my connection speed but they were also causing a major security threat. They also suggested that if they were using my router with my consent it was in breach of my contract and they would need to disconnect me. The caller advised that they would help me to access my router and block these pirate users.

It did all sound a bit scary but legit. I was then passed to a manager who wanted me to sit at my computer and he would help me to access my router.  At this point i became pretty suspicious and asked the caller to tell me my customer number or my address so that i knew he was genuine. When I suggested to him that i would hang up to check this out directly with Virgin he told me that for security reasons he would need to disconnect my broadband and I would need to visit my local Virgin Media store with ID and account details to be reconnected.

On the basis i have never been to a Virgin Media store and dont know if any exist it was pretty apparent this was a scammer.

Fortunately, i didn't make any changes to my laptop or router nor gave him any details and needless to say, i am posting this using my broadband which has not been cut off.

Be aware of similar calls.

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The tale has all the elements of the classic scammer script. Unfortunately, they need to update with a bit of a re-write as the VM stores closed last year!

Some past topics on here have been from customers who were actually scammed and have had to start a time-consuming process of damage-limitation activities after the event. At least you were wise to the scam and weren't taken in by it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Absolutely. Earlier this week I had a call from BT claiming my connection was being used for illegal activity, the speed wasn't up-to-scratch and all sorts. I ws all ready to ask them my IP address or contracted speed which is usually a good way to catch them out.

They asked how many lights were on my router and I (truthfully) told them, and they rudely hung up on me. Presumably my router has a different number of lights to the default BT one....

On a serious note though, I completely agree with goslow that these are all classic spammer techniques and the best advice is just to hang up the call immediately.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks