cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Phone calls and Zoho

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yesterday 21/10/20 I had 2 phone calls on my landline (ex-directory) allegedly from Virgin Media. The lines were very noisy and the callers were Asian one was a male and the other a female. I told the male to go away, but took the later call from the female. She stated that my broadband had been fluctuating recently and that they were calling to fix it, (this has been occurring but I had not reported it). She then asked me to join Zoho.eu and gave me a session id, I then had to input my name. I asked her for my account number if she was from Virgin media which she said would be displayed after I had input my name. I again asked for my account number and at this she hung up. The STD code on the callers line was from Bedford, UK. Unfortunately I did not write down the session id number so Zoho.eu which is a genuine firm could not trace the caller. This was obviously a scam / phishing attempt. After all why would a Broadband provider like Virgin have to use 3rd party software to take over a remote PC.  

15 REPLIES 15

I think VM should block these calls. To be honest - I have stopped using my home phone number totally, since 90% of people call my mobile when needed to speak to me. I only have a home number attached because it's cheaper on my monthly bill with VM to have a landline rather than not having it.

After this incident, I will not be picking up any phonecall made to my phone at home anymore. If its urgent, then they can leave a message and I will check my messages.

Be careful, in these desperate times, I'm sure there will be more and more scammers out there!!

These scams (and a lot of others) are as common as muck.  Unfortunately they just change the number they're calling from. It isn't difficult to generate 1000's of numbers in a few seconds, which seem to be anywhere in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jim+browning 

Stay vigilant folks and under no circumstances let them have access to your computer/bank account.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

I'm a Zoho email customer as well as a VM customer and I had a online support session with them just now. Naturally the scam alert search was the first thing I saw as I typed in join.zoho.com. Even though I was expecting them to call me to resolve an issue it made me suspicious. I asked the technician to provide information a random scammer would be unlikely to have to prove he was genuine.

Zoho.eu and Zoho.com are genuine domains Zoho use and not in themselves scam sites. Unfortunately for them their screensharing app is being used by scammers, so it's definitely good to be on your guard any time any caller asks you to download an excutable file.

Kevin

Had the same ... let it run ... till they told me to go to zoho.eu when I burst out laughing and the woman started swearing etc... It was novel being told I was on VM...

Hi bojam, thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

Thanks for being alert and for looking out for your fellow community members. 

Regards

Lee_R

Tenebreaux
On our wavelength

I love these calls. My record for keeping them on the line is an hour and twenty minutes. Hilarious when they realise they're being played and they absolutely lose it.