Menu
Karsten
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Putative scam call

I just received a phone call from "my network provider" that my network will disconnect in 4 hours time. I should press 1 to get advice to reconnect and get a new router.

My answerphone tells me the call came from 01842678640. It also didn't mention the name Virgin, my provider, and the call was more than 4 hours old. All in all I suspect pressing 1 could have been expensive.

Searching for that number did NOT show it is flagged as scam, so either I'm wrong and will be disconnected or it is worth to be wary of it.

0 Kudos
Anankha
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Putative scam call

100% scam.

These calls usually do not mention a specific provider but some do - BT usually.
Had you pressed #1 no doubt they’d try and obtain bank or card details.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Putative scam call

@Karsten wrote:

I just received a phone call from "my network provider" that my network will disconnect in 4 hours time. I should press 1 to get advice to reconnect and get a new router.

My answerphone tells me the call came from 01842678640. It also didn't mention the name Virgin, my provider, and the call was more than 4 hours old. All in all I suspect pressing 1 could have been expensive.

Searching for that number did NOT show it is flagged as scam, so either I'm wrong and will be disconnected or it is worth to be wary of it.

This is a very common scam message. The number is fake & is totally random. These scammers are going systematically through every number on an exchange, & expect to have more calls of a similar type. They usually call back several times then give up. They will also leave messages on answer phones/voicemails now, which is even more of a nuisance.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks